Starting a new build and have a question, need some ideas

What're You Doing?
banjopicks

Re: Starting a new build and have a question, need some ideas

Post by banjopicks »

I get it now, ding dong. Still not sure what all the slots are for.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The slots are so the caul part of the block will fit OVER the truss rod and the transverse braces. I use a removable caul that fits under the top when gluing down the fretboard. This caul is attached to the heel block and remains in place.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Here is one guys extension for neck(Morgan Kelsey from another site) not sure if this is what you had in mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

YES. That is just want I think I want to do. Those pics help me picture it in my mind.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I am just finishing up a 12-string and was going over some old pages for finer points, and I came across this well-documented build by John Parchem. It looks like a similar arrangement, and is explained well (neck block on second page I think). Bruce W.

https://acousticguitarconstructionforum ... =30&t=2611
Kevin Sjostrand

I just got this next guitar started last Friday. I'm building with some claro walnut that I resawed a few years ago, got 4 sets from it. Well I cracked both sides in the bender using the same process I always do, but in the past when I built with walnut, it was black walnut, and I bent those sides by hand before I had built my fox style bender.
Anyway, the next set bent great. I went a little thinner, down to .080" thick, spritzed the sides pretty good and wrapped them in foil. I also in addition to the silcone blanket in the sandwich, I turned on the light bulbs that I used to bend only with, to get some extra heat from under the wood. These two things did the trick and I got beautiful bends, and basically no spring back. So thats all I got done, but not in a hurry yet on this one. I will next figure out what that heel block with the top extension is going to be and get that and the end block made and installed.
I guess I will start a building blog on this one. I haven't done one with any consistency on the last couple of builds but with my being retired in a couple of months, I should have plenty of time to take pics and document the build.
Thanks for your help guys on the bolt down issue. I think I can work something out that will be quite satisfactory, and will show it in the build blog.

Kevin