Duco failed

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

Duco failed

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I built a guitar in 2014 and used Duco Cement to glue on the binding/purfling. I knew there was a good reason to take some pictures during construction

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 029319394/

Most of an entire side of just the white binding came off - the purfling still looks very solid. I have never had this happen and have never had to glue it back on a finished guitar. Looks like it might have been incomplete glue coverage on my part, but hard to believe I would miss it for such a long stretch.

Does anyone have a suggestion for glueing this white plastic binding on without damaging the finish and causing the need for bunches of cleanup?

flickr dot com/photos/ruby1638/51324846073/in/dateposted-public/

Again, the curse of the single URL site - please piece it together. And check how the Osage Orange has changed color
Ed M
phavriluk

Re: Duco failed

Post by phavriluk »

I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but a question. Is Duco Cement a solvent for the binding? We all know it glues up wood just fine, but for non-wood, testing might be wise.

And if the gallery here knew what the binding is, maybe someone can speak from experience about glues.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

John Hall uses Duco exclusively and claims to never have had a failure - that's why I used it. It sure feels and smell like a solvent, and after you used it you have to let everything sit for a couple of days before scraping as the binding is slightly bigger, then shrinks back down.
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

never had a failure with duco
my method is to flood it on and wipe with a cloth to get it to migrate to all surfaces.
then tape for 12 hr.
I use acetate binding. I never used stew mac bindings I always got mine from Martin. I did find a celuloid binding from China that works well also ,
I see from your pics you used wood purfling , and do you know what kind of plastic your binding is?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

No John, I don't know what type of plastic it is - I probably got it from SM. And yes, the purfling is wood. I need a method to glue it back without having a lot of cleanup. I'm thinking CA. The piece had good shape retention and will go on easily, just need something that will stay a little neat.

Thanks
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

No John, I don't know what type of plastic it is - I probably got it from SM. And yes, the purfling is wood. I need a method to glue it back without having a lot of cleanup. I'm thinking CA. The piece had good shape retention and will go on easily, just need something that will stay a little neat.

Thanks
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use 20 ca from Stew Mac for that type of repair the medium is easier to make less a mess and holds very well
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

I have their #10 and some pipettes and my grandson who owns it has to go home on Friday, so I will give that a try. Thanks
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've use StewMac's Bind-ALL Guitar Binding Glue and like it, although the price is insane; However, one tube should be enough tor 3 or 4 guitars, so the cost per guitar is not too bad.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion