CA binding left a real mess

What're You Doing?
deadedith

CA binding left a real mess

Post by deadedith »

No doubt I did something wrong - but I thought I would try to CA the top binding. Channels were cut, cleaned up, sealed with shellac - as well as around the edge of the top - bindings were taped snugly, and a brand new fresh bottle of thin CA was carefully applied using a fine whip nozzle.
Every piece of tape left a residue of tape and glue on the top. It is a real mess.
Is there a 'like it never happened' fix for this?
Thanks
DaveB
Titebond rules!!
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: CA binding left a real mess

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Dave,
Can you clean off the tape residue with Acetone, and the CA reside should sand off easily.
Did you put shellac in the channels after you routed, and before laying in the binding? You may have a reaction with the shellac and CA. I'm just guessing here.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Kevin - I routed for the bindings, then applied a little shellac to prevent CA bleeding into the top, then taped and glued and let dry for awhile. When I tried to remove the tape, it was glued to the top.
I tried acetone first thing, and that dried on stuff is stubborn.
I think spending all day tomorrow with acetone is the only way out.
Thanks
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I remove it with a scraper.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Dave I am glad you got it cleaned up ---

I am reading a couple of things here that put up the "red flag" First the channel should be sealed with nitro lacquer -- shellac can and will fail to block the capillary action of the CA and leech into the Spruce, Cedar etc. end grain. Also, and this may seem obvious now -- the CA is not applied near the masking tape. The idea is to tape the binding/purf tight in the channel apply a tiny, tiny amount of CA spritz with accelerator. Move around the edge like this leaving 1" or so gaps between the tape strips, taking care, again not to get CA under the tape.
Once it is all tacked in place, go back and remove the tape one piece at a time, tack in that spot with CA and accelerator. Work around the guitar in that fashion until all the tape is off ----- then go back and flood the seams with CA -- spritz that with accelerator --- Done, ready to clean up and level. FOR ME this method has made the process much, much less time consuming and the gap free results are the worth the few brain cells lost while using these chemicals.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Well, what a pickle.
I will get the junk off the top one way or another BUT if the shellac did not do its job, the ca will have discolored the top all around.
The statement about nitro was very interesting.
I thought I had read enough and watched enough youtube, nowhere did I see the mention of avoiding the tape nor about shellac failure.
It's going to be one of those days!
DaveB
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Dave, can you post some pics?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Ken, I had not seen that one.
My camera is out of batteries - if I can, I will pick some up and post a pic.
DaveB
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

A good learning day.
Acetone was not working too well, so I harkened back to my tool sharpening/veritas standard block plane teaching from Brian Burns. That plane, along with Brian's sharpening system, is amazing, producing shavings that float like feathers, even across grain.
It whisked off the clumps of glue/tape and made the body-binding interface absolutely perfect. I'm using wood bindings, and they look great.

Next, I had just gotten a shipment from Stewmac. In there was a selection of their sanding sheets - wow. The 150 grit just lasts and lasts, and gives a very consistent scratch pattern; also does not clog up.

So I was able to make some lemonade out of the lemon! A good day.

DaveB