Tuner placement

What're You Doing?
tippie53

Re: Tuner placement

Post by tippie53 »

this may help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tom West

Post by Tom West »

Brian: John has given you good data. The placement is critical in that if you are not careful strings can hit each other on their way from the nut to tuners. For example the A string can hit the low E string and post if your lay out is not correct. Take notice that the tuner posts are not in a straight line.This lets things line up correctly. One of the little details that make life with guitar a bit easier.
Tom
" A person who has never made a mistake has never made anything "
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

What about aligning the posts so the strings come off the nut in a straight line? Any benefit or detriment to doing it this way?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

This pattern - my drawing skills suck - would it not avoid unnecessary tensions, using a direct path to the slot in the nut, and also eliminate strings interfering with posts? Just askin' - I know nuttin' about nuttin.'.
DaveB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

As indicated in John's Drawing its important to note that the center posts are slightly inboard to the center line of the 1st and three. I also angle my nut slots toward the tuning peg to reduce the friction in the slot and the potential of string binding.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Is it that important to keep the traditional look, or is there a structural element that I do not understand?
Thanks
DaveB