Pore Filling - Spraying?

What're You Doing?
naccoachbob

Pore Filling - Spraying?

Post by naccoachbob »

Thought I'd ask on this. I have a small air gun and a big compressor. Have never used it on anything.
Can Target's HSF5100 be used in a small gun and sprayed on?
Anything to watch out for if you do?
I'm thinking that pore filling is a rub it in and grind with it kind of deal.
I can't judge viscosity at all, but it seems somewhat "thin".
thanks
Bob
tippie53

Re: Pore Filling - Spraying?

Post by tippie53 »

I use a small touch up gun , It isn't the size of the gun that matters so you should be fine
john
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Pore filler needs to be "PUSHED" into the voids (pores) the Target stuff works better if you pour out a puddle and let it turn into a gel before applying. Blow back from a spray gun will be counter productive in the pore filling process. It takes me about 15 minutes to apply, wipe off and level/sand a coat of pore filler -- Pore O Pac (oil base), Target 5100, or Chrysatllac --- I plan on four coats and sometimes get away with three followed by several heavy coats of sanding sealer. I never have been able, nor do I ever plan to get it done with one application. For me other than the associated dry time the fill process is a no hasstle deal if the mind set is --- pore filling is what it is.
Last edited by kencierp on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

tippie53 wrote:I use a small touch up gun , It isn't the size of the gun that matters so you should be fine
john

I always the guys with smaller guns that tend to say this a lot. Ba dum bum!! Hey! I'll be here all week!

I didnt even know you could spray filler. I thought it had to be pushed into the pores to get full fillage of the pores? I remember reading about using burlap in a circular motion to smoosh the filler fully into the pores.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I hate to admit this but I have a bad cold and mis read the statement. I don't spray in filler . I use a brush or or smoosh it into the pores with a squeegee or an old Credit card. You are pushing filler in the pores. Once you think it looks good , do it 2 more times
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I was pretty sure I'd get these answers. But didn't really know.
It did not make any sense that it could be sprayed.
Like Ken said, it has to be smooshed into the pores.
Thanks all.
Bob
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Bob, some folks have sprayed HSF quite successfully. Bob V who contributes a lot to Target's forums and has built some pretty cool electrics described how he sprays it: Blonde Telecaster. I have always sanded down to bare wood to avoid the pore filler looking splotchy, but Bob V left a thin coat on the surface. He pore filled the oak with three sprayed coats. I am tempted to try this in the future.

Ken