I have started #4, the Macacuaba cutaway drednaught.

What're You Doing?
darren

Re: I have started #4, the Macacuaba cutaway drednaught.

Post by darren »

Hey Ken,
Use the 'Upload Attachment' area just under the submit button when you're posting a reply, and you can upload your image to the forum software. No more excuses, lets see it! :)
Darren
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Here's one of the back.

And another

The Rim

And the Top.

I was surprised at the high contrast between the maple and the Maca, so I am glad I chose this binding scheme. It is simple, yet distinctive. I will only have a single black purfling line in the top, which I have really grown to like when the guitar woods are a little on the wild side. THis is where it has been for a year now. I will be finishing two guitars over the next month or so, and then givign them to their owners by Christmas, and then I can work on the next four. I want to finish (or refinish) the curly mango, and I haven't even started the neck for it. I want to build a neck also for the original padauk, and get it finished. My suspicion is that I will be doing that one and the maca at the same time....build the necks together, and finish the box on the maca at the same time, then finish those two out.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Thanks for putting up the pics. I remember now seeing it on your website awhile back. You did put the back plates together the opposite of what I did, so it does have a different look, and with your trim light, and mine dark (bloodwood), it will be cool to see how they compare.

I got the rosette in and scraped back. It is a macawood ring trimmed with BWB. Simple and will blend in nicely. I'm still not convinced I will bind the sound hole with bloodwood, still mushing that one over. I was thinking of putting thin single black line at the bottom of the side bindings, and for purfling on the back as well, as the top purfling will be BWB matching the rosette.

Kevin