FRETBOARD INLAY

What're You Doing?
Diane Kauffmds

Re: FRETBOARD INLAY

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 pm just did a batch of inlay today
the big key to this is also LIGHT
You know I've always outlined with pencil. By hands are shaking enough that I have a hard time doing it. I tried this, and it worked for me. It's just an alternative, that I thought I'd share.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:50 pm Diane- Talk about mixed reviews. I looked on line for the Clover brand Chacopy paper you use. Every other review switches between " great" and "junk". One says the older product was better than what is current. Maybe you have some vintage product there! Anyway, ordered some to try. Thanks, Bob
Chacopy has always had mixed reviews. Remember that this stuff is marketed to sewers and it's meant to mark fabrics. If you don't use it right (like ironing fabric marker with it) it can become hard to remove from the fabric. I've seen a lot of sewers who don't understand how to use it. As a sewer, I do think the stuff from 20 years ago was a little better.

I had to look back. I bought this batch about 1 1/2 years ago and I'm about to order more, because I have another fretboard to design. I'll let you know what I think of the new batch.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:37 pm For me, one of the main needs for inlay light is backlighting and low angle lighting. The line can easily disappear in bright direct light. If I can get light coming over my shoulder, it is usually the best scenario for me.Those knockoffs of the way over priced original Optivisor look like a good deal. I could not live without my Optivisors, all 4 of them, 2 of them with L.E.D's added.-Bob
I use a real optivisor, equipped with an led light. It helps quite a bit.

With pencils, I always used a .3 or .5mm lead. There is an alternative which has multi colored leads. The problem is that they're fat art leads. But if you keep them really sharp, they're useful.

I draw my designs with them. I use a Steadtler lead holder, with whatever choice of color.

Staedtler Mars 780 Technical Mechanical Pencil, 2mm. 780BK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YQEFGU/re ... 8M8Y3ZFBGY
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Staedtler 502 BK A6 Mars Rotary Action Lead Pointer and Tub for 2mm Leads, 502BKA6,Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EL9J50/re ... WBQ90KG5G0
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Staedtler makes multicolor leads. They're expensive. I use June Gold leads. Like I said, these are 2mm art leads. But they can be sharpened to a fine point. Depending on what you're transferring or outlining, you might need a finer point. I use these for sketching the designs.

I think I need to clarify...

I use the chacopy to simply place the design. Once cut out, before inlayng, each piece will still have to be placed and traced.

They'll need to be tweaked and I'll use either the Staedtler with yellow lead, or my plain old Zebra .5mm pencil, to trace around each piece, like John Hall taught me. If my hand shakes or jerks while tracing the piece, I can start again. But at least the main design is there, so I know where to put each piece to do the final tracing. Of course, if I'm doing a direct resin pour, I rout the design as placed on the board with the Chacopy paper.

But at this point, my hands aren't steady enough to control all pieces of a larger design like this and I dont like gluing them to the board. Plus, I can see the fretboard through the design on the transfer paper to get the whole thing properly placed. Individual elements can be tweaked as needed later.

I hope I'm making some sense.

June Gold 36 Assorted Colored 2.0 mm Lead Refills, Bold & 90 mm Tall, 36 Unique Colors, Pre-Sharpened, Break & Smudge Resistant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUIR6RO/re ... 103MC3XV7V
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

"I hope I'm making some sense."
Yes, definitely, and helpful insight on your process. I have used china white on ebony occasionally, though its pretty soft and not easy to get a sharp point. Seems to help with keeping inside the routable area.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have a soapstone pencil someplace. It was also a sewing tool used to mark fabrics. It could be sharpened to a nice point that was durable. I used it a couple of times and it worked well on ebony.

2 Pieces Soapstone Holders Round Soapstone Marker Soapstone Pen with 12 Pieces Refills for Welding Tools and Markers Removable Markings on Steel, Aluminum, and Cast https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089718LRL/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars