First guitar build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Jhunt

Re: First guitar build

Post by Jhunt »

It took almost 2 days, but the neck joint is done. Connected the fretboard and got all but one fret sanded. Put a coat of sealer in the top and sides. Made an error on the purfling and waiting for some more to arrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Congratulations! To adjust it, if necesssary, don't take anything off the neck dovetail or the socket in the body. Remove material only from the end of the neck where it contacts the body. Diane mentioned "scribe sanding." It's where you do that.
Incidentally, you can make the job easier by chiseling out a groove in the end of the neck next to the tenon so you have only a narrow band of wood around the edge that actually contacts the sides. And when you do the sanding, it works better if you stick a couple strips of about 120 sandpaper to the body of the guitar and rub the end of the neck on those, instead of trying to pull strips out from between the faces..
You may already know all that, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to repeat it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Thanks for the tips!

I believe what Diane called scribe sanding is also called flossing. If so, I did that as part of the process. The other tip you mentioned sounds like hollow grinding a chisel.
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Cut and attached the nut today and applied a few coats of tru oil. On the tru oil, I made the mistake of not waiting long enough between coats and also sanding with 0000 steel wool before the coat had fully cured. On a positive note, when sanding I used Mohawk wood lube which seemed to minimize any issues with my poor technique.

Ordered a set of gotoh sxb510 tuners and bought a martin c640 hard shell case.

Next steps:
Saddle and bridge install
Complete purfling once it arrives and finish binding
Drill and install tuners
Headstock inlay
Create a soundhole label
Explain to my wife how I spent $4k to build a guitar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Are those Grover Sta-Tite 18:1 tuners? I think the Grovers are excellent, especially for the price.

Here's am attempt at an illustration of where to relieve the end of the neck. The lighter area.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

MaineGeezer wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:12 am Are those Grover Sta-Tite 18:1 tuners? I think the Grovers are excellent, especially for the price.

Here's am attempt at an illustration of where to relieve the end of the neck. The lighter area.
Thanks. Yes, I believe those are the Grover tuners that came with the kit.
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

A few coats of tru oil in the top. Decided to not use purfling on the back. Added an ebony accent on the heal. Sanding today.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here's scribe sanding. The sandpaper is faced up, so you're only taking material from the cheeks of the heel. What you do to one side, immediately do on the other. You don't want to change the geometry that you've already established, so check everything as you go, and when your finished. It's easy to change the left/right lean of the neck.

It helps to create a valley on each side first.
PicsArt_01-10-07.06.06.jpg
PicsArt_01-10-07.02.30.jpg
PicsArt_01-10-07.03.24.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:18 pm Here's scribe sanding. The sandpaper is faced up, so you're only taking material from the cheeks of the heel. What you do to one side, immediately do on the other. You don't want to change the geometry that you've already established, so check everything as you go, and when your finished. It's easy to change the left/right lean of the neck.

It helps to create a valley on each side first.

PicsArt_01-10-07.06.06.jpg
PicsArt_01-10-07.02.30.jpg
PicsArt_01-10-07.03.24.jpg
Thanks, Diane. Yes, I did that when working on the neck joijtZ
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Tuners arrive tomorrow. Yesterday, I added the saddle. Put a couple coats of true oil in today.