"Twin" Dobro Project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: "Twin" Dobro Project

Post by TEETERFAN »

Those two are going to be visually stunning with that stain and that grain. Nice.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Here's my fancy spray "booth". It's all I can afford after buying lots of rattle cans of paint (LOL).
Painting.Outside.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Those both look very nice!
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Twelve coats of clear lacquer and now I can take a breather while the paint cures for buffing. I have knee replacement surgery at the end of the month so it will be awhile before I will be able to get back into the basement to complete these "Dobros".
Twelve Coats Clear.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Well, my knee replacement surgeries are are finally done. Our health care system might be "free" but it sure isn't fast. We are short of doctors and also hospital beds, which cause much surgery delays.

I can once again get back into my basement work shop and I've ordered a Nashville Pick up for one of my Dobros. So I hope to have them both completed before too long.

In between knee operations I started a new wood working project, which has been on my "back burner" since the mid 60s. It's a 36" long model ship - SS United States. The construction article was published in a 1952 issue of Popular Mechanics.
SS U.S..JPG
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I'd love a copy of that boatbuilding article. My kid years were spent inhaling those magazines (Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Mechanix Illustrated, Science & Mechanics). Please send me a PM if that's possible. Thanks!

(Next town over from mine a parent of a much younger friend was chief electrical engineer on that ship up (I think) until it was removed from service.)
peter havriluk
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I am reminded of a real cool book,
“THE BOY MECHANIC” by the Popular Mechanics Company.
Many fascinating plans and projects. Pre-1950, so some dangerous or outdated content. (Available for free online from various sources.)
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

A comprehensive archive of the old Popular Mechanics magazine is available on line. Just ask Google.
Perhaps it might include some interesting guitar articles?

PS PM sent to Peter.
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Today, I'm back in the shop working to get this project finished off. My pickup has arrived and I had to do a small "repair" job because of a previous mistake I made. The fretboard is supposed to be attached to the top of the body with four small screws that are hidden under dots. Unfortunately, I had already glued in the dots with CA. I needed to remove them and I wasn't looking forward to that repair. I used a small ball shaped bit with my Dremel tool to hollow out the center of each dot. Because the FBs were already attached to the necks I made a support block to support the FBs before drilling out the dots. Fortunately, I think this turned out rather well. I still have to make and fit the internal sound baffles before sanding and buffing out the finish. Then everthing will be ready for final assembly.
Redrilled Holes.JPG
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

The tuners and necks are installed. Just the internals left to do before stringing them up. I hope to post a video soon of one of our jams sessions, that is if they sound good.
Twins.JPG