GRW Classical

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Danl8

GRW Classical

Post by Danl8 »

A few years ago, I got a Guatemalan Rosewood set that was a Custom Shop reject from a Hearne lot. The GRW apparently was prone to checking and this set did. But I could eke out a 00-size instrument without any trouble. So I finally got around to starting the build this year. I'm finishing up the binding this week and will be close to wrapping this one up. I have the FB (ebony) and bridge (Br RW) left to make. I can't find all of the photos I took before closing the box, but here are a few. The peghead is overlaid with cutoffs from the back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: GRW Classical

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

That is sweet.
Is the first picture showing what the GRW back looks like?
If so that is WILD.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Beautiful! I have a gorgeous set of GRW that I'll be using soon. It certainly can check, which is worrisome if the guitar is heading to a dry region of the country.

My solution to the problem is to pore fill these guitars with 2 part epoxy instead of my usual Aquacoat. I don't seal the wood with shellac before pore filling like I usually do when I use epoxy, so that it stabilizes the wood. At least, this is my thought process.

I do this with all guitars made with wood with crazy grain patterns too.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, Kevin and Diane. Yes, the first pic has the back in it. I've been calling this the angel wing guitar. 😇Interesting idea about pore filling. I have enough z-poxy to do that. A traditional finish would, of course, be french polish, but I've been contemplating tru-oil at least for the back and sides. Don't know if that would help stabilize the wood, though.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

TruOil will look great. But epoxy will stabilize the wood. That's one of the purposes of z-poxy. If it were me, I'd epoxy it and finish it with whatever medium you wish.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, Diane. Ok, z-poxy it is. Can you direct me to a thread of yours where you get into specifics? I am out of practice with epoxy filling...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'll try to find photos, but it's easy peezy.

Just mix your epoxy, pour it on the back (it's better to do the back and sides separately). I spread it around with a thin little squeegee. You can also use a business card, old credit cards, or my favorite, those fake credit cards that you get in the mail with solicitations to get a card (Capitol One used to send me 3 per.week).

Just spread it around, then squeegee off the excess. Go with the grain, crosswise, and 45° angle. Spread it like you're grouting tile. Let dry thoroughly. Sand lightly. Repeat as often as you need to.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars