Another Custom Inlay

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Another Custom Inlay

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Ready for finishing pieces. I only had a couple of tiny areas, from ca glue bubbles to fill. Otherwise, no filling.
20220816_114143.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Coming along. I've drilled and poured epoxy directly into the centers. I used a chameleon colored metalic pigment that color shifts orange/yellow/green. Very cool! But I'm not finished.

The centers look convex, but they're actually concave. Tomorrow, I'll mix a light green/yellow and fill again, leaving the very outer edge with the darker orange color shift epoxy. This will be the right colors for blackberry flowers. When that's set up, I'll engrave the last details.

Got the bee drawn and ready to cut. I'm concerned about getting those black stripes in; they're very thin. The bee is small. 1 stripe will make her look like a Bumblebee, which isn't tragic, but I wanted a honey bee. I'll mix some black epoxy and see if I can make the stripes with a toothpick or sliver of bamboo.

As always, each step in the process looks weird until finished.
20220816_145436.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I’m awaitin’ for that bee!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

There be a bee! I've also engraved everything. So, this is the finish punchlist:

1. Bee's eye needs to be large
2. Slight pink highlights where flower petals separate as(in the etching)
3. Inlay the fret 1 bud opening. It's cut, just need to inlay it.
4. Inlay copper wire antenna and legs on bee
5. Drop yellow-green epoxy into center of flowers

I was trying to figure out how to highlight or color the epoxy and shell. I looked at a lot of things, including India ink. I decided to experiment with the epoxy dye that I have on hand. The liquid dye is translucent and thin.. I put I drop of the black dye in a cup and used a toothpick to make the bee stripes. I also highlighted the separation between the head and body, and mid-body and bottom. It worked like a charm. It dried quickly.

I'll use a color of pink on the edges where the flower petals meet. I'm not adding any color to the leaf etchings. I like them as is. The etching really brought the design together.
20220817_164457.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

All done. Will show in the Show it off section of the forum.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars