Another Custom Inlay

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Another Custom Inlay

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm using needle files to clean and further shape the vine. I've found that regular carbon steel files work better than diamond files on this particular material.
I've found another advantage to making this combo material. Although shell can be manipulated a bit (bent), this material is more pliable.
20220807_110423.jpg
Here I've just plopped the vine on the board. It'll be further refined and the missing pieces will be added.
20220807_112810.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I admire your trying different approaches, and going forward with the one that produces the best results. It’s an evolutionary process. Thanks for sharing!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you. Yes, I'm doing this inlay with many things I've never done or used, including the CNC. The direct pour would have worked if the colors weren't so dark.

I've started inlaying the main parts of the vine.

Inlaying the vine isn't a simple inlay. It's going into a space that's already had 2 attempts at epoxy inlay. Although it's hard to see, there are spots where I'll have to back fill with ebony, because I want to remove the old stuff. Initiallythere will be voids and incomplete looking disconnections where leaves, flowers, and berries will reside.

So, the initial inlay will look terrible. But trust me. When finished it'll look great.

I started at the bottom. I had 2 last pieces of the vine to cnc today, one being a redo. I'm inlaying some of the more delicate items separately.

A couple of stems are too delicate to cnc. I'll cut and inlay them separately.

After cleaning up everything with the files, I laid them on the board, tracing around them

I got 3 pieces in by 4pm when I stopped for the day. I'll get the other 2 in tomorrow. Then I'll cut and inlay the small pieces that I don't want to cnc.

After I get the vine and stems in, I'll assemble the leaves by groups for inlaying. But right now, it looks terrible.
20220807_160334.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

So, moving on, you can see where I'm going with this. The berries are inlaid. The leaves and flowers are next.

Keep in mind that the leaves/flowers will be filed to fit together, particularly the leaves. Each 3 leaf group will be cut so that they fit like a jigsaw puzzle. Also the leaves and flowers will be scribed. The leaves will have veins and the flowers individual petals.

In addition to the petals, all flowers will have a golden yellow center.
20220811_103040.jpg
20220811_103445.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

That is really looking lush! The variety of elements adds richness. Those scribed leaves are nice little jewels.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
jread

Post by jread »

It's really beautiful and inspiring. And intimidating! :D
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm working on the leaf groups now. I have to resize and shape some of the leaves. I've made 2 groups.

I've laid them on the board along with a flower blank. I've also laid a couple of small leaves above the bottom berry. I will resize them to 1/2 of their current size.

But, you'll see where this is going. The flowers in particular, will look totally different.
20220811_155332.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Leaf groups are put together. I'll inlay them tomorrow. I had to number them to keep them straight. No 2 are identical.

I reshaped them, and serrated them with my needle files. I've placed them in their approximate position on the board for you to see. Actual inlay positions will vary a tad.

I eliminated 1 group, which IMHO would have overwhelmed the board.

There are still small individual leaves, as well as the flowers and bee to put in. All scribing will be done at end. The joining of the leaf groups is a milestone. The rest is downhill from here.

Yes, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.
20220813_161107.jpg
20220813_161247.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Flowers are in. Will do some minor filling tomorrow. I'll cut the bee and get it inlaid too. 90% done and it's coming together.
20220815_142958.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Very very cool Diane