Another Custom Inlay

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: Another Custom Inlay

Post by TEETERFAN »

I like how you are pushing forward with this and determining the best next step. Also, you are generous to take the time to document and share your process. Can’t wait to see more!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

On to cutting. I've cut 4 different sizes of "generic" blackberry leaves. I have several more to cut. I've decided that the best way to get them to fit my drawing is to cut leaves, then modify them by hand to fit each one on the drawing.

I'm working with small 3" x 2," pieces of epoxy resin shell that I've made. I have to say, I'm very happy with the results. They cut very nicely and look great. They have the eye appeal of shell, but the strength and versatility of epoxy resin.

First I had to thin the pieced so they'd be even thickness, so I used the thickness sander.
20220719_120223.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I "clamped" the piece I needed to the spoilboard using the tape/ca glue method. I put painters tape on the spoilboard and shell, then spread a thin layer of ca glue on the bottom of the taped shell. That way the tapes are glued together, but they're only taped to the piece being cut and the spoilboard. I only need to remove tape when done.

I've programmed about 4 different basic leaf sizes. When I'm done cutting all, I'll modify each one by hand, using the spindle sander and needle files.
20220718_130937.jpg
20220718_125840.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

These are some of the leaves. All will be modified.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Flowers were too small. I also needed another leaf size. So, I've cut everything I need.

The first set of flowers were too rounded. I'll save them for a different fretboard. I increased the size and you'll see that they aren't as even. That's because their from the sketch of an actual blackberry flower.

I'll engrave the petals, drill and fill the center for pollen, and engrave a couple of stamens on all of the flowers. These are just the basic blanks.
20220721_135606.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Wow, that’s really looking classy. Fascinating process, neat to see this “grow”!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Getting down to brass tacks.

I've started the board today. I'm starting with the vine itself and stems. I'm going to pour epoxy resin, colored with 3 pearl colors, to mimic abalone, directly into these elements. I just received the colors today, so I'll do the pour tomorrow.

Everything else is cut and ready for inlay, except the bee. I've not decided quite how I'm doing the body. I'll hand cut the wings out of white abalone.
20220730_130828.jpg
20220730_135728.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here's an ugly photo for you! But you can see where this is going. I've mixed 3 colors, using color shifting epoxy color. The colors are, green-blue, blue-green, and darker violet-blue. The problem is mixing.

While the epoxy is still easily worked, the 3 colors mix together. I create swirls with a nice separation when the epoxy heats up and starts to thicken. You have to work fast at this point. But with this inlay, I wouldn't have the time to dab 3 separate colors all down the vine and into stems. I went ahead and poured all 3 together into a single cup, without mixing. I used a small popsicle stick to apply the epoxy into and over all the vine and stems.

I have fret dam Teflon...somewhere. I couldn't find the small.piece of the uncut material. I used what I had, blocking where I'd cut. Naturally the epoxy went around it. I'll cut through the epoxy and clean it out. I cleaned a lot of it out of the slots as it thickened.

The fret dam material is from stewmac is 6x6" square and 020" thick for $10. I found and ordered a sheet 15.75" x 8.25" with the same thickness, for the same price, from Amazon.

ZUPAYIPA 400mm x 210mm x 0.5mm Silicone Thermal Pad for CPU GPU Heatsink https://a.co/d/0DQ95Xd

As it thickened, I used a toothpick to swirl the epoxy. The excess will sand off easily.
20220731_093829.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've sanded the epoxy down. I want a bit more color and texture. I've used a sharpened scoop to etch the vine. I've mixed more green, and using a tool, I've filled the vine. The idea is to have the green adhere in the scratch lines, which would resemble wood.
20220801_074509.jpg
20220801_080522.jpg
20220801_084059.jpg
20220801_084602.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Nope. Didn't like it! So, I've cut the vine on the cnc out of the abalone/epoxy material that I made. Now, THIS is usable.

I'm going to go through the steps I'm using, in case anyone wants to do something similar in the future. You can refer back to how I made the "ablam".

This is how I "clamp" shell and small pieces of wood. Remember that I just have a small desktop cnc.

BTW, I attach a spoilboard the same way I'm attaching the shell. This way, there are no clamps to get in the way. It's also great because the pieces that I'm shaping won't move or pop out as the cnc is running. Glue holds everything until I'm ready to release it.

I've found that masking tape doesn't work. The adhesive gums up the bit. Some painters tapes will work; some don't for the same reason. 3M 233+ green tape works perfectly.

As I said, I attach the spoilboard the same way I'm attaching the shell to the spoilboard. I tape off the board, then tape off the bottom of the shell. I use CA glue, spread around with a stick, on the taped back of the shell, then I position the shell on the spoilboard. I use medium viscosity or gel CA glue.

It sets up quickly. While it's setting up, I bring up everything on the computer and I cnc the shapes.

I simply pull the tape off of the spoilboard, to remove the shell. Then I remove the tape from the back of the shell. The glue is in-between the layers of tape and never contacts the machine surface, spoilboard, or shell.

These are the raw pieces of vine from the cnc:
20220805_133019.jpg
20220805_140819.jpg
20220805_140830.jpg
20220805_143907.jpg
20220805_164923.jpg
20220805_164957.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars