The OO project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: The OO project

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That's an elegant solution
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Today I experimented with bending the braces. I sketched a likely-looking curve on the top, cut out a bending form to match, boiled the brace about 10 minutes, then bent it over the form. I discovered a few things:

1. Boiling a 9/32" x 3/4" piece of brace stock does soften it enough to make it bendable.
2. The thing one uses for a bending form needs a clamp of some kind at each end that can be applied quickly.
3. I think there is going to be considerable spring back when I take the brace off the form. I'm quite likely going to
need to make a new form that exaggerates the bend so when it springs back it comes out correctly.

Here's a photo of my boiling trough and a brace on the bending form.
DSC04914.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, here's the top with the braces glued on. Their size and location are not based on anything except intuition, most likely faulty. There is a slight bit of rational. The two large braces are about 1" in from where the ends of the bridge will be on the other side of the top. They should, in theory, be heavy enough to keep the bridge from rising and pivoting, so the top ought to stay flat. I hope.

There is also a picture of the back with some finish on it, showing the grain.
DSC04916.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Beautiful wood.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

WILD WOOD!
Interesting top bracing. Will be fun to hear it when the time comes.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:43 pm Will be fun to hear it when the time comes.
I hope it's not more fun than I can stand. ;-)

Since I took that photo I've shaved down the braces considerably to lighten things up. About now I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a pattern to follow: the braces are THIS big and they go HERE. I've never been very good at following directions though. I always seem to treat a plan a point of departure, and in this case I'm departing in a big way, making the whole thing up. We'll see.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It's getting there. Now I "just" need to do the binding/purfling, carve the neck, cut the dovetail, put on the fingerboard, fret it, figure out where the bridge goes, apply the finish...
DSC04917.JPG
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Nearly done, are ya?
peter havriluk
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yeah, just a few minor details left to clean up. ;-)
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

My friend Carter is cutting the binding and purfling channels for me. A few years ago I made a Fleishmann-style binding machine and gave it to Carter with the understanding that I could use it when I needed it. We were having trouble scheduling a time I could come to his shop to do it, so eventually Carter just offered to do it. He's also going to cut the neck dovetail for me. I have a setup for doing that, but it's of questionable rigidity. I didn't want to take a chance of soemething slipping.