The OO project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: The OO project

Post by MaineGeezer »

Further complications:

I made the body too deep to go in any commercial hardshell case that I can find. Stupid! So...I'm trying to figure out how to make a nice-looking case that's not too heavy. I think I have a workable idea. I'll post the details when I get the materials.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

I just did the same thing neither of my last two deep OM and 000 fit into the case. I used dred soft case w/ neck support for one. Not sure about the other yet.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It's nice to have company!

The deepest cases I could find are TKLs: http://tkl.com

Their case TKL 8805/LTD, allegedly 5.25" inside height, is just deep enough to hold my slightly-deep OM (4-3/8" at the tail block). For total height add on the bridge, and bridge pins, and the height of the dome of the back. All that seems to add up to just under whatever the maximum height is. I've put a package of strings on top of the bridge, and the cover closes only with extreme difficulty.

For the current guitar, the height at the tail block is more like 4-7/8", and there is No Way that is going to fit. I made it WAY too deep...but it will be interesting to hear how it sounds.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've been wasting paper trying to get a decent case design, and I've got Version 1 drawn. I didn't want it to look boxy, which implies curves. I might try bending some 1/8" thick hickory, but for now the plan is to build up the curved areas with vertical slats approximately 1" wide and 1/2" thick, beveled on the edges so they fit tightly together. The straight sections will be boards. The rendering below shows the idea. I've left out some of the slats to give a better idea of how it will go together.

The top and bottom will be 1/8" plywood reinforced with 12"x12" square of self-adhesive carbon fiber sheet.

There is also a drawing.
guitAAR-CASE_v1_2022-Jul-05_04-57-58PM-000_CustomizedView36050700291.png
guitar-case.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Your guitar looks great! For guitar cases, check out Guardian cases. I found they worked well for my deeper than normal OMs. Their web site has excellent detail on measurements. Bruce W.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Stray Feathers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:14 am Your guitar looks great!
The guitar is coming along pretty well. As for the case, so far it's all imaginary... :-)

I'll check out the Guardian cases. I don't have much hope, however. The guitar is so deep, any case that would fit it would have to be a really bad fit for a "normal" guitar.

I've got one Guardian case. It seems like a decent case, though in general I prefer the TKL cases.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

We're now on Plan B:
I was going to create the case curves by gluing beveled pieces of wood
side by side. I never did like that idea much because it's so difficult
to get exactly the correct bevel so the line of uprights follows the
line you want. Sort of like making a decagon and having the last segment
fit exactly.

So...I decided to cut the curved sections out of flat boards and stack them
up..See rendering, and ignore the fact that it looks like aluminum. 😉

I'll use my cnc to cut the shapes, so they will all match and stack
accurately. The straight areas will just be straight boards.
bottom_2022-Jul-08_09-59-21PM-000_CustomizedView19511030800.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Stacked approach looks to be much stronger. Staggering the ends with each course (like bricks) would also tie things together.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm wondering about that. I had planned to use straight boards for the straight sections (e.g . along the back of the case, butting against the end of the stack) but that didn't seem particularly strong; I'd be gluing to end grain. I considered putting splines between between the pieces, and I think that would work okay, but essentially making a box joint (your bricks analogy) would be even better, albeit slightly more complicated. We'll see.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I finally! got all the pieces cut that stack up to make the curved areas of the case. Even though it was all CNC, it took a long time - probably in excess of 12 hours. It probably could have been faster, but out of an abundance of caution I kept speed and depth of cut quite conservative.
Here are all the stacked piles laid out where they will go. The gaps will be filled in with 1/2" x 6" boards of appropriate lengths.
DSC04935.JPG