The OO project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

The OO project

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'll officially launch guitar #6 here. I talked about it a bit in "Anything Else," deciding if I was going to do it. Well, I am, and I finally decided what it's going to be.

I've mentioned Jud Caswell previously, and included sound clips of him test driving my previous guitars. He owns a Martin CEO-7 which has an amazing full-spectrum sound. Rich bass, clear highs, It's currently his go-to guitar that he uses for his concerts. The CEO-7 is basically a 00, possibly with an altered shape in the upper bout. Typical Martin X-brace, of course.
I'm going to build an 00 and use falcate bracing like I used on guitar #5 to see how it measures up to the CEO-7. Comparing anything to that CEO-7 is just asking to come off second best, but I think it will be interesting. Jud says it won't be "better" or "worse," just "different." However different it is, I hope he likes it, because this guitar is going to be for him.

Walnut back, sides, and neck. red spruce top. I still have a blank for a dogwood fingerboard, so I'll use that. Old-timers may recall it's what I used on my first guitar.

So....we'll see what happens.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Re: The OO project

Post by jread »

Way to go! Looking forward to the project.

Right before I started building, we looked closely at the ceo-7. It’s a great guitar. We decided to go with Martin’s 00-17L instead. It’s got a great sound which has improved over time. Both are slope shoulder 00’s we with cnc cut scalloped bracing I believe. I’m sure that’s the last factory guitar I’ll buy tho. No room at the inn.

The 00-17l has no pore fill and a satin finish. The Mrs prefers that but I can’t get a nice satin finish with shellac no matter what I try. I may have to switch to something else. Every build she says, “Too shiny” Sigh.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

The 00 slope shoulder is a nice guitar. A few years ago when I was at the factory, Chris Martin called their CEO-7 a Martin copy of Gibson's copy of a Martin.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You can get a satin finish -- or a reasonable approximation -- by going over a shiny finish with 00000000000... steel wool.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

MaineGeezer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:02 pm You can get a satin finish -- or a reasonable approximation -- by going over a shiny finish with 00000000000... steel wool.
Thanks I’ll try that. Sorry to change the topic. Looking forward to your build!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Just finish your polishing, then use either 0000 steel wool, or even better, start with mid level micromesh and polish. If the one you choose leaves it too shiny, go backwards to next lower mesh. Or, do the opposite, starting with lowest grit micromesh. Increase until you're satisfied.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I had a smile on my face when you described your next build - it sounds like a great project! But now, sort of a beginner question: What is the difference between a CEO-7 and a 00-18 or 28? Is it just the top (Red Spruce vs Sitka?) or back? Or scale length? I bought a rosewood 00 set at a really good price, thinking I might squeeze an OM out of it, but the sides are only long enough for a 00. I have Grellier plans for a 00, so that is what I will do - a guitar or two in the future - my first 00, but not sure of the details. So I am looking forward to how you progress! Bruce W.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

As best I can determine, a CEO-7 has a modified upper bout relative to an 00, I think it's roughly what you would get if you could take the neck of an 00 and pull it out about half an inch, dragging the sides with it. I've seen it referred to as a "slope-shouldered 00."
I'm not sure of what the differences in woods may be. I think both the CEO-7 and an 00 have a 24.9" scale.
As I said, I'll be doing walnut back and sides and a red spruce top, regardless of what Martin may have done.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the ceo was martins attempt to copy the LOO of gibson it is its own shape
they are very lightly braced
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well,first change, and I've barely started. I'm going with an ebony fingerboard, not the dogwood.

It's going to have a built-up neck, with the headstock piece cut off at 15 degrees and glued back on, and the heel a stack of blocks. There will be a head cap, which will help reinforce the glue joint.