The OO project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: The OO project

Post by MaineGeezer »

I got the inlaid fingerboard from Diane a few days ago. I posted a couple of notes about that elsewhere. It looks wicked good, as the locals might say.
In summary, I've got the fingerboard glued to the neck and most of the neck profiling done.

Left to do:
Decide when the neck profiling is done.
Apply finish to neck and body.
Set the neck.
Make nut and saddle
Locate and attach bridge
Install tuners
String it up
Tell Jud he can come pick it up
Hope he likes it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've spent the last couple of days fitting the neck. To state the obvious, It takes me a long time. This one seems to be taking even more time than usual, because when I started it was WAY off. It's almost there now though.

I'm trying Tru-Oil again for the finish, over a base coat of shellac. It's looking pretty good.
My attempt at a volute worked out pretty well, too.
DSC04949.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It came out nice Steve.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Progress... I finally went to see my friend Carter (a "real" luthier) after messing about with the neck joint for about four days. It was probably acceptable the way I had it, but Carter tweaked it a bit with an ease and casualness that was astonishing, so it was lined up even better. Inspired by his efforts, after I got home I did a bit more to it to tilt it back enough to guarantee it won't need a neck reset two weeks after I get it done.

This morning I glued on the bridge with hot hide glue, and late this afternoon I drilled and reamed the holes for the bridge pins and tail pin. The only thing left is to make the saddle and bridge, string it up, and hope it sounds as good as the fingerboard looks.
jread

Post by jread »

Looks great. Yeah, the neck set can take forever on some. And I'm not afraid to reset them if I need to until it's right.
MaineGeezer

Done! (Almost)

Post by MaineGeezer »

The action still needs a bit of tweaking, and I want to polish it some, but otherwise it's DONE!

It sounds pretty good; the falcate bracing once again worked well, I'll get some sound samples when I give it to Jud.

Thanks again to Diane for a spectacular inlay job on the fingerboard.
DSC04953.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've still got to do a pick guard, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Jud has requested tortise shell. I priced StewMac's tortise shell material and was astounded by price, but I've got so much into the guitar now, what's another 50 bucks?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I just noticed I didn't include the promised sound sample. Here's Jud doing the song that inspired the fingerboard design.
Jud-Blackberry-guitar-blackberry-time.mp3
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That guitar turned out really outstanding Steve.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com