The OO project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: The OO project

Post by MaineGeezer »

The case is coming along. One thing I've decided: I made it much too heavy.
DSC04936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

It may be heavy but it's super cool.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You're probably all heartily tired of hearing about this damned case. So am I. It's my current focus of activity though, so I keep talking about it. I glued on the top sheet of plywood, then sawed the box open 1-1/8" down from the top to give a box and a lid. By the time I smoothed up the sawn edges and accounted for the saw kerf, I decided it wasn't quite deep enough. (^&$(W%^%$%^W)@!!!) So, I'm gluing a layer of 1/8" plywood to the top edge of the sides. When it's dry I'll use my router with a ball bearing straight-cut bit to trace the side profile and trim the plywood to match.
Assuming that is sufficient, I 'll put in the foam padding, put on the Tolex covering, and add the velvet liner. And the handle. And the latches.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

The hinges and latches still need work, and I still need to put on a handle, but the end is in sight.
DSC04941.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Looking cozy in there!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Great project, "The end is in sight" sounds like a song by the Amazing Rythm Aces with Russell Smith or was it "The end is not in sight."
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks good Steve. I certainly couldn't have done it. Nice job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

The handle is going to be a problem. To balance the case, the handle has to go right at the curved area of the side, and the attachment points of the handle aren't meant for curved surfaces. Time to get creative...again.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, here it is, latches, handle, hinges, and all.
The bottom liner was a problem. There is 1/4" of self-adhesive foam covered with crushed velvet fabric. Getting everything smooth and tight was difficult. I finally settled for "mostly smooth" and "fairly tight."
Initially I tried using one piece of fabric for both the bottom and sides. That didn't work; there was a great excess of fabric when I folded it up for the sides. I finally did the bottom and ran the fabric up the sides only about an inch, maybe less, gluing to the sides with a hot-melt glue gun. Then I cut a strip of foam the height of the sides, covered that with fabric, and ran that around the sides, securing the top edge with hot-melt glue.

There's an 11" piano hinge along the back, plus a small hinge at the extreme left-hand end that has a stop to keep the cover from opening too far.

Now maybe I can get back to the guitar!
DSC04942.JPG
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Tasty work, good job. “Custom” even!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City