A new OM about to be born

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A new OM about to be born

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Carved the neck yesterday and today.
It's looking like a guitar now. This is the first time I've had a neck heel fit just about perfectly against the body after just routing the tenon and then carving the heel. I did work more on have a very flat level surface at the mortise area. I'm so pleased how it came out. No flossing needed.

I've started today working up the bolt down fretboard extension. This will be my second one and it's going smoothly thus far. I will probably make all my necks this way from now on.

I'll show some pics when it's complete so you can see what I'm doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Just catching up on this thread, wow, Kevin, that's looking great.

Love the CNC setup, feel like I'm behind the curve on this stuff - very nice!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I really dig the simple, tasteful binding. That is gonna look awesome with a finish. Nice work!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks guys.
Finished the bolt down fretboard extension.
Pretty simple really. 2 screws come up from inside and screw into T nuts fit on the underside if that block that is epoxied to the fretboard. Cavity for the block is routed out in the neck block extension which helps keep the top in front of the sound hole flat. Also helps prevent eventual sinking of the extension here over time from the string tension.
Nice tight fit all around.

Almost ready to pore fill!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

A slick way to do the extension, glue it to the fret board, looks like it is a lot easier doing it your way. Another great looking build.

Bruce,
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks Bruce.
I wanted to keep this simple with room for adjustment. Fitting the neck first has helped ME make it work.

I've done 2 now and I will make better jigs to be more precise and consistent as I think I'll continue with this screw down FB. So easy to remove the neck and still have a tight secure extension.
Kevin Sjostrand

Pore filling is now done. Used a mix of rosewood and ebony Timbermate grain filler on the rosewood. After 3 applications and sanding back I then finished with EIR sawdust and shellac worked into the pores.
The neck I used Mahogany sawdust and shellac and on the headstock front, ebony Timbermate. Koa all got mahogany sawdust and shellac.

I located the bridge with pins in the saddle slot. Then
I started leveling and recrowning the frets today and hope to put up the spray booth Wednesday morning and start the nitro lacquer spraying process .
Kevin Sjostrand

All masked off and ready to be sprayed.
The booth is going up tomorrow and I'll do the vinyl sealer coats. Then 3 days of spraying nitro, one day (Sunday) of rest , level sand then 2 more days of spraying. Should be done by next Tuesday.
Kevin Sjostrand

Spray booth going up.
Before it was wrapped in plastic.

Sprayed two sealer coats and two lacquercoats today. I have what seems to be the inevitable gaps that show up after spraying....to fill before proceeding with coats. The EIR and curly Koa is looking fantastic.
Kevin Sjostrand

I finished the spraying today. About 40 ounces of laqcuer....hmmmm
2 coats vinyl sealer, probably one sanded off

10 coats thinned 20% then level sanded
2 more coats then
Last coat 50/50 with bit of retarder.

It looks good. Pretty flat. Won't take very much final leveling once cured. I'll let it cure at least a month, maybe two.