First kit- 000-28

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: First kit- 000-28

Post by MaineGeezer »

"I cut it twice and it's still too short." Been there, done that....

It looks as though you are making excellent progress.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

After fitting the neck and feeling pretty good about the dovetail joint, I realized the neck has a slight twist in it. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
099AB4E8-4BBD-430D-8302-1D5587CACE9F.jpeg
F9BAAC83-CDF8-4D90-B40D-4521114E543C.jpeg
DBF2E5D7-5305-434F-948F-7333C0832C8A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I assume by "twisted" you don't mean the neck has a wind in it, but that the dovetail is tilted slightly.

Time for some shims? It's painful to mess with a neck you've set up, but I think you have to. Shave the side of the tenon down until the fingerboard is horizontal, shimming the other side of the tenon as necessary. I always use shims, as does the luthier who taught me. I don't know how I'd ever get it right if I didn't.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

No, I mean the neck has a twist in it. The planed surface of the neck is not flat from end to end.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

If the fretboard is not yet attached, make that surface square then adjust how far down the neck goes in the pocket to get is flush with your top. Hopefully you won't be removing so much as to affect your shift thickness but you can always compensate with a slightly thicker fretboard.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

we will send replacement
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

John Hall to the rescue! He offered me a new neck, but we decided to try to address this one and it went well. John recommended using sticky sandpaper on my cast iron table saw surface, then sanding the fretboard area of the neck, using pressure on the high side of the neck. A few minutes of sanding and the "twist" was out of the neck. Since I had already set the dovetail, I had to redo that process, shimming both sides of the tenon to twist the neck in the mortise. It all worked out and now we're back in business.

IMG_8390.jpeg
IMG_8391.jpeg
IMG_8392.jpeg
As always, notes for future me:
  • Ensure neck is flat and straight before doing anything else with it
  • It's easy to make things smaller; much more work to make them bigger
  • When in doubt, ask John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

And because we were able to save this neck, my first inlay attempt of a happy little Eastern White Pine tree (made of maple) survived.
IMG_8374.jpeg
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ah ha. A simple fix I figured would work. Glad you were able to make it square and all is good. Nice inlay too.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

love the inlay
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com