First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

Well gang, here goes my first build! I just retired and will be building this as my personal instrument. I have done a little guitar repair and refinishing over the last 35 years, so I am not a total rookie. I will say that I have learned a ton reading all the postings and build blogs on this forum. A sincere “thank you” to all my fellow members and your selfless contributions here.
I contacted John and he put together a terrific custom kit for me. The ziricote top and sides are super nice. This guitar will be a D-45 style, based on John Arnold’s 1937 D-28 drawing. Top is torrefied red spruce. Fretboard/bridge ebony. Blue paua pearl.
Nothing exciting accomplished yet, building the mold. It’s bandsawed out and I am currently trueing up the “perpendiculars” and curves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

Cleaning things up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

How thick is your mold? The top and bottom of the sides have to project a bit beyond the mold. I'm probably being misled by your picture.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

The mold is 3” thick, so I should have the projection you recommend. I reckon my skinny hand makes it look thicker!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hi Tetter
Looks like great materials for a fine guitar. I wish you well on the build. I too just retired and spent much of my first week in this status in the shop on my current guitar build.
Sure is nice to go to work at home. Enjoy!

Kevin
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks for the positive thoughts, Kevin. I got a lot of work ahead of me, but I feel pretty good. I have been researching for several months, so it is nice to start “making sawdust”.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice looking wood. Looks like you have a good start.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Pretty wood, for sure. Enjoy.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I got a little accomplished in the past few days. Thankfully, things are real straight, angles correct. Moving on to linings and perhaps, fingerboard inlay.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Out of mold
Kevin Doty
Kansas City