First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

I just completed deflection testing and things look pretty good. I built a test fixture based on the one on Portland Guitar’s website. After glueing top to the rim, but before I trimmed off excess, I secured it to the mold with a halo. I attached the beam and set up with a 5lb weight, hung at 24” from top. Results were pleasing. Bridge rotation measured out at 2 degrees, beam drop at 24” measured 1 3/8”. Since the target bridge rotation of 2 degrees was achieved, I am moving forward. Building and using the fixture was pretty straightforward and inexpensive. I did work real slow and careful, really babying the soundboard through all the handling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Readings:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I just got the back glued on. Again, John’s video was a fantastic help. Like the top, I am gonna give the fish glue a few days before unclamping. Meanwhile, I will work out my strategy for cutting the binding channels, fabricate the fixtures, and start some test cuts.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Wrapped up the inlay on the headstock. I ordered the touch from Depaule Pearl. I got a few hundred pieces of pearl to inlay with the binding, so I decided to save some time. They were fantastic to work with. The torch was real nice, I just had to tickle a thing or two. The Ziricote was a bit softer than the ebony fingerboard, so my cuts weren’t quite as clean, but I am pretty pleased. I mainly used 1/32” CNC bits and good ole #11 Xacto blades.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I just completed a thin layer of cyanoacrylate of the headstock inlay. Lots of razor blade scraping and wetsanding.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kevin it looks real purty. Nice job

Kevin
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks Kev. I debated for weeks between this torch and the “alternative torch/fern”. My wife had to decide for me, as that is her special talent.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I just finished fabricating a KMG style binding channel router jig. Seems to be able to do the job, but I am gonna practice and practice some more.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Well, I got my binding channels cut, so I can start breathing again. My routing fixture worked well. I made a couple of modifications as I practiced using it and things went well, with no mishaps. I did multiple passes, slowly sneaking up on the final depths, since I was quite paranoid about throwing a chip out of something. I should have to do minimal channel clean up, but gonna get things as perfect as possible, as that seems to help the overall binding process.

I also routed out the overlap on the dovetail socket. Right off the bat, things look pretty good. Certainly have to re-watch all of John’s neck setting videos!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice inlay and don't forget to chamfer the corners of the dovetail
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com