First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

Will do, John!
Also, thanks for all the good neck setting (an addendums) videos on YouTube. It is very generous of you to have taken so much time and effort to share your knowledge in all these videos. Incredibly helpful.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Progressing with the edge binding. Slow work. I am finding 95% of the job is in the perfecting of the binding channel. After that, very much like “herding cats”, glueing those binding strips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Work progressing on the fingerboard. I temporarily glued some oak to the back to facilitate the routing of the binding channel. That went well, I used my table mounted trim router with a little fence setup. I got the binding installed. I was nervous since I had no extra binding this size to waste, but I cut my end piece a whisper long and “miter sanded” it to a good fit. The ivoroid binding John selected for my kit looks good with the older style snowflakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Ivoroid binding
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

its all about the perp you look like your doing a great job
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Oh yea, I am finding all the extra time put into prep or setup actually ends up making the overall task go quicker.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I got to use one of my very first tools, a hand drill I had as a kid, to drill my holes for my side position dots. It worked great. I had tried different fences and setups on my drill press, but test drilling didn’t produce consistently accurate results. Using a tool I have had for over 60 years has got to impart some mojo.
I got the fingerboard glued to neck and truss rod installed. I am currently getting an education on dovetail fitting and making good progress thanks to “Professor Tippie53” and his informative videos. I need to get the neck set to perfection before doing my routing for the 45 style inlay around fingerboard and neck heel.
I am also taking a lot of time getting the purfling and bindings leveled with the wood (and visa versa). I am inlaying solid Paua pearl, so it will tolerate level sanding, but the less of that the better.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

be very careful torrified wood doesn't like scrapers
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Fortunately before I started, I read about that here on the forum and yes, it has very little tolerance for scraping. I did some testing on the top, in the area that gets covered by the fingerboard extension to get a feel for things. Mostly, I have been tickling it down with little 220 sanding blocks. I have went through a lot of Super 77, making numerous sanding blocks and sticks. Boy, you sure can’t get in a hurry with any of this. If I worked at Martin I would have the production line backed up several weeks.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Wonderful and heartwarming to follow this project. I retired and among other things, took up lutherie so's I could learn to play on a guitar I made myself. It's been a wonderful journey. My incentive to respond today was OP's comment 'Boy, you sure can’t get in a hurry with any of this.' He's going to work out just fine. That was the most difficult value to honor in all this. And I think the most important. OP's in the right place.

Enjoy, everybody.
peter havriluk