First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

KC weather is about the same as Indy. Hot, muggy corridor of the midwest. We regularly drive through Indianapolis when we travel to Brooklyn, visiting our son. Most importantly, ou have White Castle Hamburgers!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Oh, that abalone/ivoroid combination is elegant! (I'm guessing it's ivoroid...)
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:12 pm Oh, that abalone/ivoroid combination is elegant! (I'm guessing it's ivoroid...)
Same here! Really looks nice.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Good job on the inlay! Perfect look for your guitar
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Yes, the binding is ivoroid included in my Blues Creek kit. The paua pearl was purchased from Depaule. I think it will look nice with the finished Ziricote.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looking much awesomeness there Kevin
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Well, after some home improvement, a baby shower, and a vacation, I am back on my build. I glued on the headstock face veneer and trimmed it. I also profiled the neck to a “modified v”, which I like. I printed out some guide templates, which worked great. Finally, I finished shaping the volute. The CNC’d neck blank saved a lot of time, but I needed to finish it. I did a lot of research on Martins with the diamond volute and there was a little but of variation, so I followed the one that appealed to me. Again, I have a new respect for the craftsman that do this in a production environment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Kevin,
If you are looking to model after martin pegheads, you might be a little long on the sides under the nut. Here are a couple of Martin necks straight off their CNC machines. The sides come in to the neck about half way in the taper up towards the volute point. I have a dozen more that I can check for a better example if desired. Your progress is excellent -- looking so good!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Yea, my angle is much more downhill from the nut than my research, but it goes downhill a bit as well. I kinda had angle toward the v groove that was already carved in the neck blank. Moving the nut location didn’t sound like a good solution. I didn’t investigate sanding out that portion of the pre-cut groove, perhaps I had enough material to do that. Thanks for the great pictures, I hadn’t seen the Martin necks in that state. You can’t get too much information!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City