First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Boy Kevin that is alot of work but some fancy stuff you're doing there. I know NOTHING about that type of volume so can't comment on the correctness but it's looking great
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks Kevin. This is gonna my personal instrument, so I am swinging for the fences on the details. And I am retired, so time isn’t a factor. I’ve had to redo a procedure or two along the way, but the Blues Creek kit John put together really make things straightforward. The knowledge and support this forum provides is worth a million.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
jread

Post by jread »

Clean and precise work. Inspiring thanks for sharing.

A blacksmith friend picked up one of my necks with a volute and got excited about how he uses the same shape at a similar joint to make it stronger and showed me a steel kitchen ladle he made and the back of the handle had a diamond volute at the joint like this.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

That’s interesting about your blacksmith friend’s adaptation
. Shows you the influence one craft has on another. Cool stuff.
While researching the diamond volute, I found out about the bird beak joint that it simulates and how other luthiers still use it. I would go through a lot of wood trying to do a real joint!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

We can certainly admire the technical skill of those who made (or make) that joint. Martin's CNC version doesn't quite line up the same, but looks impressive on a finished instrument. Here are a couple Martin modern versions (there are variations).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I reckon future CNC operations will virtually eliminate handwork in the larger factories, so it’s encouraging to see all the individual luthiers preserving the hand skills. I know I am real enjoying my build and all the precision woodworking involved.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kevin isn't retirement great when you are building a guitar
I retired the end of 2021 and it's been Amazing!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Certainly is! I feel fortunate to have reasonable health and a situation that allows me to put some luthier time in. Most of the folks on this forum are “do-ers” and need to keep busy.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I just finished the headstock binding. Routing the channels was something I feared for months. After looking at a wide variety of techniques and tools I ended up watching John’s super video on headstock prep and mimicked his procedure. Wise decision, it went well and came out nice. Thanks to John, again!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

More pics
Kevin Doty
Kansas City