First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

This is woodworking. It is specialized, but has so much in common with other woodcrafting endeavors. I dig the fact that working with wood is absolutely ancient and tools and techniques have been passed down from generation to generation. This forum is doing a terrific job sharing things that, in the past, were known to a relatively small group of individuals. We are indebted to John and all the other contributors for their wisdom and generosity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I have begun my pearl work on the soundbox. I started on the end piece, which is a little less visible, in case I messed up something. John’s postings on 45 style inlay and his YouTube video were immensely helpful. I followed his advice and glued up “sticks “ of pearl and purfling, then inlayed those. Slow work but I am happy with the result. On to the the heel area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

More pics
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kevin that inlay is looking mighty fine. Your doing great.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks Kevin. I certainly scrutinized all your pictures of the inlay on the Claro Walnut build you’re working on. Very helpful!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The build and inlay look wonderful.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Heel area pretty much done. I continue to learn little things here and there with wrangling the purfling and pearl.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Hey everyone, I haven’t posted on my Ziricote build because for the last month I have been “redecking” our deck. The wife suggested I get that accomplished before the summer heat got too bad. I only have a couple days left, than back to my basement workingshop and the guitar! Sort of a balancing act, as all if you know. The last two weeks have been high eighties and nineties, so now I know what torrefied wood feels like.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
jread

Post by jread »

Super nice deck!

Yeah, the nice spring weather packed up and left. It went from 74 to 95 here in Indy since Saturday humidity is ridiculous. The dehumidifier is keeping the basement shop at 46% though.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

We've had the opposite problem on Vancouver Island - temperatures 3-5º C below normal for three months, the coldest May on record, and we have only had one day above 20º (68ºF) this year. I have two guitars waiting to be sprayed outside, and a couple of ukuleles not far behind. And I too have also been off on a tangent, helping a builder put fir trims on a couple of new skylights - what a difference! But back to guitars soon enough . . . Bruce W.