First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by MaineGeezer »

That is going to be one gorgeous guitar!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I just completed the back, misted on a wash coat of shellac. I just laid the rim over it and I am pretty happy so far with these two main parts. My next step is the soundboard. I purchased some torrefied spruce from StewMac and start on those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
jread

Post by jread »

So neat. Really excellent
jread

Post by jread »

So neat. Really excellent
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Nice work!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I got the top about finished. All torrefied woods. I had no problems working with it, sanded fine. I used fish glue and made sure I had a good squeeze out. I had a bit of staining with the glue clean up, perhaps due to the torrefied spruce.
I followed the John Arnold 1937 D-28 drawing for the bracing. My intention is to incorporate some type of deflection testing, so I increased the thicknesses a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TEETERFAN on Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Well, I am home from vacation and back to work on the guitar. Things going well. I am fitting the soundboard and back to the rim. I made a sanding beam and got the rim radiused properly (and flattened the upper bout to get that neck angle). Then I glued the top on. While that fish glue dries for a couple of days, I started my fretboard inlay work. All I know is John’s videos are priceless! Part of all this is being fairly confident going into each step and watching his tutorials help.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
jread

Post by jread »

again, your work is just so clean. very inspiring.

Question on your tone bars. Is this a lefty, a flipped picture, or are you just putting them off the "right" side of the X? I've heard that for a lefty that it doesn't really matter if you reverse the tone bars. I did reverse them for a left hand guitar I built but I didn't know if that was a common practice.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Yes, I am building a “lefty”. This is my personal instrument and I am left handed. I should have mentioned that earlier, another member noticed and PM ‘d me. I have “flipped” all aspects of my blueprint accordingly. This includes soundboard bracing (dimensions and location), bridge saddle angle, and nut slotting.
My entry into the world of guitar construction and repair (years ago) was converting right handed instruments for my left-handed use. I actually replaced the laminated top on my Epiphone Dreadnought in 1982 with a scalloped x braced one I built (left handed) from wood I got from Dick Boak through the Custom Shop. Big improvement in sound and is still “thunking out” the low end. It will be interesting to contrast the old beast’s sound with my new build with torrefied woods.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I got the fretboard inlays on the “5 yard line”. All that remains is a few pits to fill and scratches to sand out. My technique improved as I went along. Thank goodness I am inlaying into ebony, it hides more sins than rosewood. Many thanks to John and his “torch inlay video”.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City