First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: First build-Blues Creek custom Ziricote

Post by TEETERFAN »

Finished tinting the stark white body purling to better match the ivoroid binding. I started by masking off the ivoroid binding, pearl, and wood. Like the headstock, I sprayed on multiple coats of slightly tinted clear, until it matched the ivoroid or slightly darker. When dry, I removed a bit of the masking to compare things better. I sanded the areas that were a bit dark with 5000 grit, until I got a visual match. This is much easier than trying to match while I am spraying.I remasked and applied a few lights coats of untinted clear, which will protect the tinting. My next step will be to touch up any imperfections with a 000 artist’s brush and add a few more coats of clear. As mentioned before, I will french polish all body wood with button shellac.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Well, I am back to guitar build after the holidays, travel, and an unexpected home improvement project.
After honestly evaluating my top binding, I decided to redo it. I had overrounded the ivoroid, compared to the back. I called John and ordered new ivoroid and b/w/b, replacing all from the pearl out (top and side). Luckily, I didn’t have to redo any pearl work!
So I now have things looking much better. Not that much extra work and the new binding material was inexpensive. I learned to really compare all things when rounding the binding and work real slow. I am glad I corrected the binding, while not that noticeable, it would have drove me nuts. I imagine you builders that use wood binding have to really be careful. On to french polishing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Summer projects are consuming my time a lot, but the tedious french polishing continues. The ziricote grain is looking better and better.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Hey guys, I’m curious how you like to finish ebony fingerboards. I’ve read about sanding, buffing, treating with various things, oils , cyanoacrylate, ect. And how does Martin finish theirs? I can find lots of info online, but I’m looking for your personal experience with the various methods, results, and how things look over time. Thanks!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Kevin
I like to sand down to 400 grit then 0000 steel wool. After installing the frets, all leveled sanded etc. I put some Dr. Ducks oil on there. A little bit, rubbed around, let sit a bit and wipe off any extra. Then just polish with a cotton rag when it's dry. I've done this to at least the last 16 fretboards. Later if showing dryness then coat again. I do the same on my bridges, both ebony and EIR.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

By the way your fretboard looks awesome!!!
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks Kevin. Is that the “Dr. Duck's Ax Wax and String Lube”?
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Yes. In a bottle. Not really a wax, liquid