OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looking more like a guitar. Neck is fit. Now figuring out my fretboard extension bolt down set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Yesterday I began to figure out my screw down fretboard extension setup. Made a block that will hold the T nuts and be glued to the fretboard bottom and made a pattern and routed the cavity in the top. Took lots of time fitting and fiddling with this but it looks like it will work. Today I'll install the nuts, drill holes, etc. Not ready to glue the block to the fretboard yet. I want to install most of the frets first other than where the locating pins go......I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

My version of a screw down fretboard extension coming together. Looked at a couple of pictures of others setup and just went for it. I think it's going to work. Now ready to glue the fretboard to the neck.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Kevin, I like your jig for routing the tenon on the neck - does it bevel the cheeks or do you do that manually, or not at all? Bruce W.
Kevin Sjostrand

Gluing the fretboard down after installing the 15 to 21st frets.
Also started pore filling the walnut body. For this I like using end grain sawdust and shellac.
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

Wow, this is coming together beautifully! I've used walnut in banjo building and it's such a pretty wood. Smells good too.
Kevin Sjostrand

The frets are in.
Now on to carving the neck. I like using a small hand plane, spoke shave, chisels and micro planes to get this done. So far it's looking good.
Kevin Sjostrand

A few more pics
Kevin Sjostrand

I have the guitar pore filled and final sanded to 320.
It is about ready for the finish. I just need to drill and endpin jack hole. I will be putting a JJB Electronics Prestige 330 transducer pickup in this guitar.
About the same as the western mini.
As soon as weather permits I'll mask off as needed and start to spray the nitro.
Kevin Sjostrand

Spray booth is up. Just sprayed my first coat of sealer.
Yah!