OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
TEETERFAN

Re: OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Post by TEETERFAN »

Looks like you’re getting ready to make it beautiful. I hope things go smooth and the bugs keep their distance!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

First spraying went okay........until.....
Did two coats of vinyl sealer. Scuff sanded with 320.
Sprayed heavy first coat of lacquer. Top and sides look great. The back developed many tiny bubbles. Started sanding them out but surprised how deep they go.
Will probably sand it back with the RO and 320. May have to hit the back with another coat of sealer before proceeding. We will see.
Kevin Sjostrand

Spraying is done. 20 coats of nitro lacquer.
Now wait 4 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Legitimate accomplishment! You appear to have your procedure “dialed in”. Thanks for sharing!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Finishing the finish begins.....4 weeks after the last spray session.
I start on the back using 600 grit 3M wet/dry paper soaked overnight. I'll do the entire body and neck with this grit then proceed to 800. Same deal then 1000, then 1500 and then 2000.
Last will be on the 12" buffing machine using 2 Menerza
Compounds. I figure it will take a couple of days/a few interupped hours.
I'm excited to be here at this stage finally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Wet sanding is going well. Took the body up to 2000 grit.
On the neck I have a repair spray to do. Removing masking tape on the back of the heel cap I got a chip out. I was careful but also afraid it may happen arg!
I left the masking in place for the whole 4 week cure and that is a mistake. The lacquer is very brittle on the edges of the tape and this area was difficult to try and cut through with the razor knife. Lesson learned. I need to pull the tape after the first couple days of curing.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Good idea. I try to remove masking tape as soon I can, like within day. My brother-in-law does the same at his auto paint business.

Looking better and better!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Starting the buffing.
Actually finished the buffing today but right at the finish I bumped the edge of the purling area at the top and put in a dent just in the lacquer so that is being repaired as I write by drop filling thickened lacquer.
Always a bummer but an easy fix.
Kevin Sjostrand

Coming along.
Buffed out. Neck bolted on. Tuners installed. Nut made.
Fretboard cleaned up. Saddle fits the slot on the bridge . Next tomorrow or Saturday I'll glue the bridge down. I'm going to have about a 3/16" saddle which is a bit high too start but I have 1/4" in the slot. 7/16" tall bridge.
Once string tension in on the saddle should be able to come down during setup. My neck angle is set with the screw down fretboard extension support so I'll have to live with a slightly tall saddle on this one.
Kevin Sjostrand

Gluing the bridge down. I use this fox bridge clamp but my arms are too big to get inside and screw on the clamping nuts so the bolts are there to position but the cam clamp and the wing bolts/clamps are sufficient. The fit to the top was near perfect.
I'll wait till tomorrow then drill out the bridge pin holes. Fit the pins and oh my I may be ready to put some strings on.
I will put my label in before strings, then the pick guard and finally set up at the nut and saddle. Whew.