OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm sure you're granddaughter will love it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

End wedge making and install. Cut a 1/8" slice off a EIR bridge blank. Planed it and drum sanded down to .090", just a tad thicker than the sides. Cut and installed with same maple purflings that are on the bottom of the EIR bindings. I plan to miter those purfling junctions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

A bit more work done. I like to do test run on scrap when routing for my rosette when doing abalone. I use Teflon strips laid in where the shell will go when gluing in the bwb purfling. I use titebond here, when dry pull the Teflon and inlay the shell. Then I flood the shell with CA building up the approximately 5 thousands that I set the shell below the top of the channel. Misted with accelerator, I can start scraping it all flush right away. I like using a razor blade to do this.
The rosette is done so I started making my braces putting the radius on them in the sanding dish. Next I'll do final thicknessing of the top then glue on the braces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The abalone looks nice Kevin. I first started setting my shell just below the surface when I desiged my first fretboard inlay, and I used shell veneer. The veneer is too thin to sand, so I ended up inlaying, then flooding with ca glue. I still do this in my rosettes too.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Yes Diane me too. I find the laminated shell works well and looks good and being flooded is a benefit....fills in all the voids. And, so much cheaper. This rosette shell was $8.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

What do we know about how long CA lasts when flooded like this? Does it deteriorate or yellow over time?
Kevin Sjostrand

No it doesn't change color, become brittle. No change.
I have 12 year old guitars out there with this process. Look as good as day one.
I do built up CA finishes on turned duck calls too. No issues. Hard and stable
Kevin Sjostrand

Got the top braced today now lots of carving to do!
Kevin Sjostrand

Well I got the top braces carved, now just realized I did not take a picture of it done. Oh well. The neck block extension is hand chiseled out for the truss rod access.
Yesterday I cut the notches in the rims for the back and top, and today got them glued on. Tomorrow I'll flush trim both top and back and start level sanding around the sides. I love getting to this place in the build.
Kevin Sjostrand

Today I routed the top and back flush with the sides.
Now a bit of sanding to do. There is always a bit of cupping going on it seems. I like to do this by hand with a flat sanding board and a large dowel wrapped in sandpaper for the waist. Good arm exercise!