OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: OM in Claro Walnut and Spruce top #16

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Got the sides sanded flat and went on to routing for binding and purfling.
The top is getting EIR binding with a maple side purfling and abalone top purfling. The back is just getting the binding.
Routing is done and install of the binding happens
today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Bent the binding....it came out almost a perfect fit. Tape was all that's needed, no clamps (I usually need a clamp at least on the waist).
I tape in the bindings, check the fit, trim the ends, etc. and then do a final fitting/taping. Then I wick in CA where there is no tape, the remove the tape and wick in CA in those spots. Next I used a very small hand made chisel. (Made from a mini file, only a 1/16" wide) to clean up the channel of excess dried CA.
With that done, then I use Teflon strips to fit in the channel with the black fiber on the inside edge of the channel and wick CA along the edge to glue it in.
Pull the Teflon out and I'm ready to install the abalone along with the black fiber on the outside edge of the channel. I'm about half way with the shell install today.
When it's all in, I'll flood it all with CA. The shell is set .005"
below the top to accommodate the CA. This is laminate shell that's. 050" thick, and you don't want to sand the surface of the shell. So instead I'll be scraping/sanding the CA to get it all flat.
By the way, this shell is about 1/3 the cost of solid shell and when installed you can't tell the difference. This time I'm using all curved strips and they break and conform to the channel, the same as when you use straight pieces.
That's how I do it. Very low stress when doing bindings this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Looks fantastic! That will be a gorgeous instrument. Lots of good work.

I will be using a similar binding approach with Paua pearl, your information will definitely help. I gotta make me one of those 1/16” chisels!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I'm watching this binding lesson too; have not tried an abalone binding yet. Re: chisels, it's a lot more expensive, but I bought a 1.5 mm chisel from Lee Valley from this set, buried in their listings under "micro carving tools":

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... ving-tools

It's listed at $55 CAD but I love it. There is also a bent 1.5 mm available. I also have a very small chisel, buried in the "detail carving tool" section, 1.5 mm and it was $13 CAD:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=44D1415

I think I saw the same thing under a different brand at one of the better US woodworking suppliers. Bruce W.
Kevin Sjostrand

I have the shell in and I'm almost done taking it all down flush. This is the first 2 inch section I planed and scraped down. I think it will turn out okay.
Kevin Sjostrand

Scraping and more scraping. I left to binding .010" proud, .005 more than I usually do. Doesn't look like much but sure is a bunch more to take down.
Kevin Sjostrand

It's all done and looks pretty good.
Started the neck today. Using Spanish cedar to keep this guitar a light weight. Cut and glued the scarf joint headstock. I use this very simple jig I made to cut the joint for a 14 degree headstock.
Kevin Sjostrand

More work on the neck. Truss rod slot done. Heel block glued on. Headstock thicknesses within a 1/16" which I'll bring down to final thickness on the back side using a drum sander mounted jig on the drill press, after the face plate veneer is installed.
Kevin Sjostrand

Headstock inlay is in. Pocket cut on my cnc. Plate is ready to glue down.
Kevin Sjostrand

Got pretty far the last couple of days even with two groups/4 nights of company here.

The head plate is glued on and the headstock is shaped. The fretboard is made ready for fretting. I have it set up for gluing with locator pins. The fretboard is bound with binding made from cutoffs of the fretboard blank. I like doing them this way. No fret ends to show and it doesn't look like it's bound.
The headstock has been thicknesses to .590" final thicknessing done on the back side, after drilling the tuner holes, using my oscillating drum sander. I use to set up to do this on my drill press with a robo drum. This us my first use of the Ryobi sander I bought last year on Craigslist locally, brand new never used discontinued model for $50.
Hey hey, sell them for three times that much.
It worked much better than the drill press set up.
Drilled holes in the neck heel for barrel bolts.
I'm ready to route the mortise and tenon now.
This always freaks me out. Jigs and big routers!!!