"Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: Porr Orford Cedar OM

Post by MaineGeezer »

You may have more patience than I do.

Anyway, it's done.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here are photos of the front and back, and the bridge.
DSC04818.JPG
DSC04817.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

The wood looks very pretty! Is the bridge also a different type of wood? It looks a bit lighter than normal rosewood.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes - I made the bridge out of dogwood. It is quite hard and fine-grained. I've used it before. My first guitar has a quartersawn dogwood fingerboard, which has a nice grain pattern. One drawback is that it's extremely difficult to find.
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

MaineGeezer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:49 pm Yes - I made the bridge out of dogwood. It is quite hard and fine-grained. I've used it before. My first guitar has a quartersawn dogwood fingerboard, which has a nice grain pattern. One drawback is that it's extremely difficult to find.
That is interesting! I have never heard of dogwood, although it quite certainly looks the part for a bridge. I really like the slightly pale pink/brown color.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I don't want to hijack MaineGeezer's thread with a tangent on dogwood, so I'll start one in "Anything else". Bruce W.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've been messing about with rosette ideas. I've concluded that my original plan of bending a strip of marquetry purfling into a circle is not possible, at least by me. As an alternative, I'm wondering about creating a 12-sided rosette from short straight pieces,with small angled blocks at the corners. Here's a sample. By the time I tried this I'd used most of the purfing strip in failed bending attempts so I couldn't center the chevrons properly, but it gives the idea.
The corners are ebony. I cut them out and cut the 12-sided channel with my cnc.
DSC04827.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm gluing on the reverse kerfing. The amount of stiffness added by the reverse kerfing is quite significant. Whether that matters at all, and whether it's a good thing, I have no idea.
DSC04828.JPG
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

24 sides.pdf
I'm now thinking of a 24-sided rosette, something like this drawing. I think I'll shift the chevrons slightly counterclockwise so they are centered better. (I got bored coloring all the bits; use your imagination.)
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It occurred to me that cutting all those purfling segments to exact length was going to be quite a job. To make it easier, I made a miniature miter box with slots exactly 0.500" apart that just fit my razor saw, and the work-holding slot is just the width of the purfling.
DSC04833.JPG