"Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

"Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'll start a build thread for my latest project, guitar build #5, an OM built entirely of Port Orford cedar. It's an experiment. I already have 6 or 7 guitars, so there is little point to building a guitar just to have a guitar.
I've ordered the top, back, and neck (all POC) from Oregon Wiidwoods. I already have some POC sides,which I just sanded down to about .095". I may take then down a bit more.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Re: Porr Orford Cedar OM

Post by MaineGeezer »

Slight change of plans. I'm going to build another parlor guitar patterned after the old Bruno I have. I did that for my guitar #2. See viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7255 for details of that build.

It will have a 12-fret neck and probably my pat.pend. bracing scheme I used on guitar #4. (I also used that bracing on guitar #2.) I will probably increase the body depth slightly.

The neck will be built up (stacked heel), something I haven't tried before.

This morning I cut off the piece that will be the headstock at a 15 degree and glued it back reoriented. Though it was probably unnecessary, I used epoxy.
DSC04811.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Nice job on the headstock. Glad to see you building.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Milling the truss rod slot.
DSC04812.JPG
xc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

love my milling machine handy are they not?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

I know, I'd love to have one. I used Bridgeports a lot when I was a machinist many years ago. So so nice. You can make any tool you want.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'd love to have a Bridgeport, but what I have is certainly sufficient. "Handy" doesn't begin to cover it.
0Here's a photo of the dovetail tenon, which despite careful measurement ended up slightly off center, and a photo of the partially completed headstock with my inlaid lizard logo.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

love the geko
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Sanding a 16" radius into a fingerboard. This gets a bit tedious. If I didn't already have the blank, I'd order one from LMI, pay an extra seven bucks, and have them do it.,
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

I've only done one 16" radius fretboard, in ebony and didn't find it tedious at all. I think I started with 60 grit and worked my way up through the grits in no time. Peel and stick paper works great.