"Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: "Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Post by MaineGeezer »

The binding and purfling are looking a little better as I trim them down, and the rosette came out pretty well:
DSC04875.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I sand a 15" radius. When using a short radius block, yes it's very tedious. I have an 18" long radius block and it goes much faster.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The rosette looks beautiful!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

This afternoon I took the in-progress guitar over to show Carter. (For any newcomers, Carter is the luthier who taught me how to build guitars.) Carter didn't think it was as terrible as I had let him to believe, which was encouraging. He suggested filling the dings and gouges with shellac sticks, which I hadn't thought of, and he helped me sort out the neck dovetail fit. Altogether a productive afternoon.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

You seem to be like me and only see the faults in our work. It’s a great looking guitar and is very unique inside and out. It’ll be a great one.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, it's done. Not the best craftsmanship I've ever done (in fact some of it is pretty rough) but it sounds quite good. One thing I'll make sure I don't do again: I made the string spacing at the saddle too wide. at 2-1/2". It was supposed to be 2-1/4" but somehow an extra 1/4" crept in when I wasn't paying attention. I'll blame it on Parkinson's disease interfering with my ability to concentrate.
cedar guitar 3.WMA
DSC04876.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

Sounds real nice !! The sound is very balanced from bass to treble and the notes have great separation.
Keep building until you can't !!

Brent
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm working on getting my friend Jud to come over and give it a test drive so I can get a decent sound sample to post. Even with me playing it though, the fullness and volume seem remarkable for such a small guitar. The weird top bracing worked!
jread

Post by jread »

Beautiful guitar. I love the old look, it's a real heirloom. The sound is quite pronounced, thanks for sharing all the progress and the unique bracing. What a treat. I love how they take on a life of their own after they are done. It was a build project on your bench, now it's a really sweet guitar with a timeless look that will only get better with age.

I've been on break from building due to shoulder/arm pain. But I'm inspired by all the builders here who work through their physical challenges. I helps me realize that I can do it too.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I used dark amber shellac for the finish, which does give it an aged appearance. It's also not a particularly good finishing job, which makes it look somewhat beat up and old. There is a certain appeal to its "used" look, I think.
I was just thinking, sitting here looking at it, that it reminds me somehow of a Mexican guitar. Not sure why.