"Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

Re: "Port Orford Cedar Parlor Guitar

Post by jread »

MaineGeezer wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:09 pm I used dark amber shellac for the finish, which does give it an aged appearance. It's also not a particularly good finishing job, which makes it look somewhat beat up and old. There is a certain appeal to its "used" look, I think.
I was just thinking, sitting here looking at it, that it reminds me somehow of a Mexican guitar. Not sure why.
I've come to love my builds for the same reason. I used to get depressed every time I look at a Collings or Martin or well anyone else's guitars they all are so perfect. But mine are unique and vintage looking from the start, warts and all. You can't buy this look from anyone but me. Good thing too because I can't seem to make them any other way. All my players love them and that's all that matters. One of my players is a serious bluegrasser and goes around to all the festivals and meet-ups bragging about his handmade John Read Guitar (JRG). They pass it around and try it out. So far, I've only heard good things about it. Pretty COOL!! I would never have imagined this outcome.

Yours does have a classical or Spanish look to it. The extra wide spacing will give it a unique feel like a classical with steel strings I imagine.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Carter came by today. He was kind enough to overlook all the construction flaws and pronounced it a good guitar. It does sound good -- really good, I think, Especially when he played it!

I'm still waiting for Jud to come play it. I'll record a sound sample and post it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, Jud finally came over and took the guitar for a test drive. I didn't get a really good recording of him -- there were other people around and everybody was talking -- but I was able to extract this bit.
Jud 5th guiitar_1_0_0.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

It sounds wonderful! Well done!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

...and another one.
Jud 5th guiitar_1_0_02.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jread

Post by jread »

sounds really great!