Build #3: sitka/black walnut 000

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: Build #3: sitka/black walnut 000

Post by MaineGeezer »

Is anybody besides me not seeing any images? All I get is the word "Image."
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Same with me, no images.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Sorry all the links are now broken. They were hosted with Photobucket and I took them all down when they changed their hosting policy. Flickr did a similar thing.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

OK, here's a little side track. I built my first two with help and the use of another's workshop. I've been spending the past couple of years to make my own bending machine and drum sander, among other tools and jigs.

Here's the side bender. Somewhere I got access to LMI's blue prints. It wasn't that complicated to build though.

https://youtu.be/7SOgWxTBrSg

PS: Here's a drum sander I made partly from recycled circle cutouts from when I made a wine rack for my wife:

https://youtube.com/shorts/9IDrDOS1dDo?feature=share

The practice piece is zebrawood that I bought from RC Tonewoods a couple of years ago. I sanded it down to about .082" and hit it with Windex. It bent at 250 and I took it up to 335 for a few minutes before bringing it back down to about 315 for another 10. It was still slightly damp so to prevent cupping I opened up the mold and sandwiched it in with the bending form. After just a couple of hours I took it back and there was zero spring back so today I sanded down the walnut slats and plan on bending them over the next couple of days.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

OK, the treble side is bent but the paper I used stained the inside surface. That's discussion for another topic but suffice it to say don't use dyed butcher paper. I think I can scrape away the worst of the marking but fortunately the outside is unmarked. For the bass side I will use undyed parchment paper.

Anyway, the reason I got to this point is that my homemade drum sander works and I was able to thin the slats down to around .080-.085." The side bender is also homemade too but other than the springs being tight there was no breaking as long as I "walk" the cauls down slowly. My technique is getting pretty good. I'm actually getting confident and looking forward to doing the bass side. I'm also feeling confident that this build isn't going to linger on the back burner like the previous two.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, shall we?
~ Neil
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Be careful, I've heard some grocery store parchment paper could have silicone in it.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Here's a short video of bending the first side.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/goljrocMwfA[/youtube]

Here's a shorter video of bending the second side.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/IM1UBkEgPvI[/youtube]

Next up: I need to trim the excess from the sides and glue in the blocks.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I’ve been trying to kick this back into gear and have made good progress this week. The blocks are glued into the sides, as is the kerfed lining. I’ve also braced the back. I’m working toward putting the back plate on first. Afterward, I’m hoping to focus on the top but starting with the rosette then cutting the outline of the soundboard. I’ve already mapped out where to put the braces.
Last edited by nkwak on Wed May 03, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

The other day I braced the back then notched the rims for the back braces. Today I inlaid the rosette, but screwed it up. I didn’t inlay it deep enough into the top and sanded through it. I’ll have to do it again.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Ugh! L

I think I know what I need to do to fix it, but I need to order a new rosette. The inner and outer rings are OK though.
~ Neil