2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
nkwak

Re: 2nd scratch build - Carpathian over EIR

Post by nkwak »

Frets are in and filed flush to the binding. I fashioned my own tang nippers which did the job poorly but I’m nearing the finish line. Next up: leveling and crowning.

~ Neil
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Neil
I think your repair came out really good. I bet no one will notice it. The guitar has come together nicely
This has been a long build for you!!

Kevin
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, Kevin. I still need to fix some gaps here and then mask for the bridge but yeah I am in the home stretch.

Meanwhile, #3 awaits. I need to up my game.
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

The neck is aligned, the bridge has been plotted and masked and the top sanded to 320. I'm finally in the finishing phase.

This is after the first French polish session:

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

It's been awhile but I'm in the French polishing phase on the body. I managed to get the pores filled in the back and sides but the are some spots where I've had to wet stand with mineral oil and steam out some indentations in the top. I've got about 5 sessions in the back and sides and I hit it with the buffing wheel and some Maquires. I have about 4 sessions in the top but there are gaps in the rosette - that will mostly get covered by the pickguard.

I need to find another host for pics so in the meantime here's a link in Google Photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2jM94EKeWUQBRDKc7
~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

No this build is not finished, but it's about 98% there. I finished the French polish back in November but couldn't get Flickr to host the images.

Here's the top. I got the pickguard from Larrivee. I like the bevel and the thickness over what StewMac and LMI sells. It even covers a flaw in the rosette:

Here's the back. The pickguard inlay is meant simply to cover a mistake with jointing the purflings.

All that's really left to do is glue down the bridge, polish the neck and do the nut.
~ Neil
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looking good.
I like how you mirrored the heel cap with your fix on the back. Looks cool.
That pick guard is super nice.
Now getter done and start playin.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Thanks, Kevin.

Part of the hold up was binding the headstock. The neck still needs to be polished as well. The tenon needs a shim too though the angle is good; it just has a little play.

~ Neil
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I've got it strung up and am in the process of doing the final setup. The neck is slightly underset so the action is on the high side, but it's a bolt on so I'm able to remove the bolts and stick some sandpaper on the sides on either side of the heel and move the heel up and down to alter the angle. There were also a few high frets but a;so I got them mostly level.

I'm using a preslotted nut though so it doesn't feel quite right. I need to tool up and learn to cut my own slots. I have some of the tools necessary to do a setup (action gauges, a 36in rule, a fret rocker, a crowning file, etc.) but not the nut slot files. Same with the bridge: I got it precompensated and it came high so it and the nut needed to be lowered. I've done that before though so it's not really a problem for me as the intonation is approaching where it should be now that I'm reducing the action. Having patience is my problem; with the finish line in sight I tend to rush.

Meanwhile, it's always something on the aesthetic side. Somehow some lines of purfling blew out in a couple of places during the buffing. Ugh.
~ Neil