1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BEJ

Re: 1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by BEJ »

A little more progress made today, got the frets in, is there a easy way to do fretting. I've tried it a few different ways and they all seem to be a real PITA, guess everyone has to find a way that they can live with. Got the bridge location worked out and now will start the final finishing, might wait until all 3 builds are ready for finishing and maybe the outdoor temps will be higher here, a little cool the past few weeks. a few pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Haven't posted for awhile, still slogging along. I'm in finishing hell x 3 plus some refinishing on pervious attempts that were put aside. a few pics....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow. They look great!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Some more progress made, got the 3 to a rough set up, will fine tune them in a week or so. Some problems in finishing went from gloss to satin on 2 of them, left on gloss on the other, but haven't done any leveling and sanding/polishing might just leave it as it is and move on.

The good thing about making these 3 is it got me back into building and helped me to get better at quite a few things. The bad is the evidence left on these guitars while learning to do better. Think the lessons leaned will have to show up on the next 3 pack. a few pics....
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

A few pics of materials and mold/bender for next build. Will use plans from Grit Laskin's article in Fine Woodworking. A larger guitar than what I've been building, will step up to add a little more in complex bindings/rosette and other details.
Getting materials together for a build is one of the things I like doing. From going to local lumber yard finding wood for back/sides, neck, kerfing, and as much materials as possible vs buying any thing pre made, Some stuff I've bought online but try to do as little as possible. Getting my Jet drum sander was a big step foreward, can do so many things now that was possible or harder in the past, like wood flying out of my planner when trying to get it too thin.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm the type of person that couldn't follow a plan step by step if his like depended on it, sort of a knucklehead
That's me, in spades. In spite of it, I managed to build some halfway decent guitars. You can too
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

Me too!! I start out telling myself I'm going to follow a plan and somewhere along the way I go crazy. Usually impatience is what gets me.

That said, at the end when I string them up they come out sounding great! I have Mr. Hall's and another friend's teaching to thank for that.

Finish is still an issue for me, but I have decided I am going back to French Polish.
------------

Rex
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Getting some work done toward new build. Been working on different methods for making rosettes or atleast parts. Made a set up to cut segments out with a small benchtop bandsaw I bought for small stuff like this, so much easier than dragging out the big one. A few pics...

Bruce,
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Cool jig. How do you get the pivot point to the same spot on the saw table each time?
Ed M
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

The rosette jig has a sliding base that can be positioned for different widths. It's not my idea got it off a U Tube site, from a woman in the UK Susan Gardener. She has a lot of great ideas on her site, a little zany to me but one can learn a lot from her. A few pics...they show the 2 widest positions.

Bruce,