1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
BEJ

Re: 1st build; time to stop dillydallying!

Post by BEJ »

Got some neck blanks made today, using Cypress to go with the 3 new guitar batch, all blonde. The wood is a little harder than the Spanish Ceder I've used on the past few builds, will see how it goes. Pics...

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Cool. You are doing the headstock layup like Kinkade.
How does that work for you?
I've considered trying it but you need a wee bit longer blank to do it that way.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I wondered that too, and, while I followed Kinkead a lot, I went with the angled scarf joint for necks, because I was happier having the grain in the headstock running (mostly) lengthwise.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Seems to work ok, it's the only way I've done it so far, should try another way someday. I've only used Spanish Cedar until this build, the Cypress has a more pronounced grain pattern might not like the final look, will see.

Bruce,
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Been a while since I've posted anything. Been working on new project, a bump out addition to my shop.

I know a lot of guys do great work on less space than I had before the addition, but I seem to need more space. I always hated moving stuff out of the way to use another machine, and sometimes didn't do somethings because of this. So I planned for more space sometime ago but stuff always seemed to get in the way, like the covid, large raises in materials costs, whatever comes up to keep someone from action. Finally just got off the dime( or these days a frick'in quarter) and went for it.

Built a 12' x 16' bump out with a beam/post foundation, 2x6 walls, 2x10 floor/roof members. I've known for sometime I couldn't do a FULL days work (Now 77) but you always think you can do a little bit more. But this project kicked my ass somewhat, I did have a helper that was ok with working shorter days and more of them so in the end we got it built. Still need to finish out some trim and little details as you think of them.

Have gotten all the stuff I wanted it the new space moved and set up. The plan was to move all the large power tools there and install some effective dust collection. I went with 2 wall mounted units and hope these will get the job done. Using a small cyclone unit but found out a 5 gal bucket isn't too effective and have ordered 2 15 gal units hope these will do the trick. Sometimes you try something and it doesn't work out. anyway a few pics....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BEJ on Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

A few more pics...
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Nice! I do see one problem -- you now have no excuses. ;--))
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Great looking addition! That’s a lot of work at any age. At 68, I am starting to see my speed go way down on projects I used to complete zip-zap. It takes more will power and Advil.
You will really enjoy the new space and no doubt be a little more motivated to do the fun stuff. It sure looks first class.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

What a treat that will be! I like the sliding door. And as I face 75 next month, I really understand what you mean about slowing down. Bruce W.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Finally got the outside done on shop addition and revised dust collection. Now time to get back into it. a few pics...