Parlor Guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John Reid

Parlor Guitar

Post by John Reid »

Starting a new project. I’m trying a parlor build.

Sort of coming up with my own size. I wanted something in between two profiles I had: I traced the profile of a Yamaha parlor and also got a form from John Hall. The Yamaha was too small and the one from John was a bit bigger than I wanted. So, I drew the profiles on one sheet of paper and then kind of averaged the two shapes, as shown.

From there I made a bending form, and I just finished the other form to hold the sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Parlor Guitar

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks like this will be fun to watch.
I've never made a parlor guitar. I should do one someday.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

sounds like a good project!

Just out of curiosity, how closely does your "derived" outline match this outline of an old Bruno I copied for my 2nd build?
Bruno Outline.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Ok, I just measured the parlor size I came up with.

I put my numbers on the outline you sent. My numbers are circled. Looks like mine is pretty much the same length, but wider at the upper bout, waist, and lower bout. Don’t know what that means, but there it is…
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It means you're building it for a larger parlor??? <grin>
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Ahhhhhhhh! Makes perfect sense. :)