First kit build - Martin dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
rcplanefan

First kit build - Martin dred

Post by rcplanefan »

Hello forum members! Please let me introduce myself as a new builder here. Since I started playing guitar about 15 years ago, I've had a goal of being a builder. I retired about a year ago from a 28 year career as an engineer building things, so now seems like as good a time as any to get into this.

I've been pulling my shop together and still have a lot to acquire, but after a few phone calls with John, watching a number of his YouTube videos, and reading as much as I can, I took the plunge and ordered my first kit from him. I aspire to scratch build in the future, but this should be a good way to get my feet wet.

Anyway, I plan to blog as I go and I welcome any feedback or help you can give me here. I live in Cincinnati, so if any of you are close by I'd love to get together and learn from you as well.

Here is the Martin dreadnought kit laid out on my bench. I'm actually surprised how much is already done - rosettes installed, neck finished. It looks like a relatively easy start, though I'm sure the devil will be in the details.

Onward!
Last edited by rcplanefan on Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: First kit build - Martin dred

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi. Where do you live in Cincinnati? We lived in North College Hill before moving to West Virginia
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

I’m in Montgomery. No clue why my photo isn’t showing up.
jread

Post by jread »

I’ll look at the server in a bit to see if there is a problem with images. Thx for posting. New users need to have 2 posts approved by a moderator which I just did. Yours should go thru right away next time.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm not sure if the image problem is related to being new on the forum. If you make another post, after it's approval, everything opens up.

We were just in Blue Ash/Montgomery a couple of months ago. We moved to WV in 2010, but still owned the house. We had to go to the closing.

Try reposting the photo now.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I just did a test by uploading a photo. Try selecting "place in line". I did a preview and my photo uploaded.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

Diane - thanks for the quick feedback. I have fixed the first post with the photo. I've enjoyed seeing your posts here and look forward to learning from you and others!
jread

Post by jread »

Glad to have you on board! John's kits are the best. I started with one of his kits. It mainly helps with not needing to invest in certain tools like side bender or drum sander and also having to figure out a neck from scratch. I'd bet a dollar that this is just your 1st build of many. Like those old potato chip commericals, no one can have just one. We are all junkies, keep those pics coming.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you join our forum. I am also a rookie, about to finish my first kit. This is the place to learn, learn, and learn some more! I look forward to following your progress!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Welcome! I’m outside of Pittsburgh and have been a novice builder of 14 years now. My only advice is to write down everything so that you don’t make the same mistakes next time.

PS: building your own jigs is almost as much fun as building a guitar IMO.
~ Neil