First kit build - Martin dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
rcplanefan

Re: First kit build - Martin dred

Post by rcplanefan »

Thank you again. I used that diamond file to do my scraping but I’m guessing there is a much better tool and technique? Not sure I want to do this every time!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You can always use a razor blade. Just be careful of the sharp corner coming into contact with the guitar.

I use a binding scraper, which I can control easier than a razor blade. But, they're not cheap. I bought mine from LMI, but with them going out of business, I doubt you can find it there. Stewmac has them for $28+almost $14 shipping, which I find ridiculous.

If I didn't own one, I'd make one. It's easy to make. It's just a piece of metal 6 7/8" long x 15/32" wide x 1/16" thick. One end is ground to a 45° angle. The angle is honed to what I think is either 25° or 30°, but I doubt it matters, as long as it's sharp.

You can keep it from scratching the guitar, and control binding removal, by where you place your fingers. Refer to the photos. I've removed just finish, with no binding, using this nifty tool.
20240127_144946.jpg
20240127_150339.jpg
20240127_150412.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

OK, this makes perfect sense. As I'm watching John's videos, I'm realizing it may have been smarter to set the neck before I did the binding, but I'm also pretty sure it won't matter in the long run. I didn't realize the finish was removed from the bindings - I'm not so sure my Martin D-28 has the finish removed, but maybe it does.

Diane - THANK YOU for the very clear explanation and all of your help. This forum is great for helping get this work done. I'm certainly learning a lot!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

We all get need help at one time or another. You'll be okay with the neck on. You're doing really well for a first build. I've got a lot of builds under my belt, with so many repairs and restorations that I've lost count.

I still learn something from every build, repair, and restoration. It's an ongoing process.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

John has some incredible videos on setting a dovetail neck. He does such a good job explaining how to make adjustments and keeps it very simple. Tonight I decided it was time to fit the neck, and after about an hour of work (which included making some small sanding blocks), the neck is fit pretty well.

There is about 1/8" gap at the bridge when a straightedge is placed along the neck which is about 1/32" more than what I might have wanted, but I'm going with it. The centerline is nearly perfect. And the fingerboard seats with no gaps on the top. Overall, I'm calling it a win. Here are a couple of photos of the fit. Not sure what to do next, so I'm back to watching videos I suppose.

Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow you got a great fit there and the binding looks great.
If you are using a clear finish of some kind on your guitar, and I would recommend you spray nitro lacquer, I don't believe you'll want or need to scrape the bindings of you apply your finish.
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

Question for the experts. Do you glue in the nut before applying finish? I assume so and then mask it off when finishing?

Thank you!
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I like to mask off the nut channel along with the fretboard, finish and then glue the nut in after the final polish at set up time.
Reason?

Well if you finish with nut installed then at some point you have to remove the nut you may crack, chip or damage the finish that is on the sides of where the nut is flush with the neck. It can and does happen.

Also when you glue it in just use a small drop at the center under the nut. This also will allow easy removal later. The nut won't be moving and the string tension holds it in place anyway.

Kevin
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Ditto to what Kevin said.
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

Thanks to both of you. Makes perfect sense!