First kit build - Martin dred

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
rcplanefan

Re: First kit build - Martin dred

Post by rcplanefan »

Again, thanks to all of you for all of this help. I used my palm router this morning to cut the first stairstep in the top (for the purfling). Overall, it went better than I thought it might. However, if you look closely, you'll see some "hair" on the top ledge. I have actually gone back over this section with the router to try to clean it up, but there is still some there. I know this won't be a problem in the rosewood, but do any of you have any suggestions for keeping a nice, clean edge while getting rid of the hair?

You can see it in the second photo. After talking to John yesterday, I cut the channel about 0.010" too deep in both directions. I do expect the plastic to expand some (using Duco cement to glue them in), and John warned me that it is easer to sand the wood than scrape the plastic!

Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Just hit that fuzz lightly with some 220 grit.
Sometimes I'll use a flexible fingernail file board. They are good to have around.
Looks good!
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

Thank you! I will do that and then start more routing. Hoping to have the binding and purfling channels ready for installation tomorrow.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

One thing that can help with that sort of fuzziness is to use a downcut spiral cutter. https://www.stewmac.com/search/?q=downcut+router+bit

One caution: those cutters push the chips down. If you make too heavy a cut, the chips can build up and mess up the cut. I generally make a preliminary cut with a regular bit and leave about 0.02" to cut with a downcut bit.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Also next time wipe on a bit of shellac on the top edge area before routing. This helps in cutting a cleaner edge.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

A thought: Considering the results of using a too-used router bit, maybe a nice new router bit would make sense in controlling the 'hair' and other yet-to-be-experienced adventures.
peter havriluk
rcplanefan

Post by rcplanefan »

phavriluk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:17 pm A thought: Considering the results of using a too-used router bit, maybe a nice new router bit would make sense in controlling the 'hair' and other yet-to-be-experienced adventures.
This is a good throught. Unfortunately this was the second cut this bit has ever made. The first was a test cut about 4 inches long to set depth. Maybe I just have soft spruce?
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

The “hair” is very common on spruce as you come around to the end grain. Carefully sanding will remove it and maintain your sharp edge.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi. I once wrote some instructions on how I do binding, with emphasis on prepping the channels. Channel prep is everything when it comes to installing the bindings and purflings, and making it look professional.

I have tools you probably don't have, so I'll tell you what I use, then give you a great alternative.

First and foremost, you need to use shellac on your channels. Really saturate them. It's easy to miss a small spot. I put 2-3 coats of shellac in them. Don't worry if the shellac gets on your sides/back/top. You should put shellac around your top anyway, because it'll protect it from dark sanding dust. Shellac also imparts beautiful 3D appearance to side and back wood, unlike other finishes. It works well under all finishes, water or oil based. Zinser from lowes or home depot works fine. You can buy flakes and make your own. It doesn't matter.

After the shellac has dried, let it go overnight, Prep your channels. I use an Iwasaki Razor file. There are several shapes. The one I use the most is the 150mm straight file. It's like a fine rasp, but leaves a finish like sanding. Both edges are safe and Both sides cut.

Prep one channel at a time. You need to prep BOTH surfaces. Keep whatever you use straight to the wood. Go gently and take your time. Let the tool do the work. Good prep can take quite a while.

Since this is a straight file, you'll find it doesn't do the waist channels. There is a curved file as well. But, I've found that the very end of the straight file works Iike a scraper.

As I said, there is an alternative to this tool. You can use a scraper (the rectangular one) or razor blade. The end and corner of a square ended 6" ruler works great. You'll find that the shellac allows for easy removal of those fuzzies. It's also preps your surfaces for glue.

So, after scraping or filing both surfaces of your channel, test the fit. Cut a 1/2" piece of your binding, and run it along the channel. Look at the fit. If you find a place that's not deep enough, from either direction, use your file/scraper to widen or deepen it in this area, until your piece fits. Once you see a good fit all the way around, do the same steps to your other binding channel, testing your fit. Then turn your attention to the purfling channels, performing the same steps as you did to the binding channels.

I always go very slightly deeper on the channels than the wood. It's better to sand the wood to the bindings/purfling, than to scrape down binding. You want the bindings to be of even thickness and width all the way around. When you start scraping bindings, some areas can get a little thinner than others, which is noticeable.

This is my file:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/iwas ... e-fine-cut
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is my curved file for the waist:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/riff ... e-cut-flat
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars