"Twin" Dobro Project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Dobroguy

"Twin" Dobro Project

Post by Dobroguy »

Hello Everyone. I hope posting about a Dobro build isn't against the rules?
Maple.Side.JPG
It's been awhile since I've added anything to this forum. In the meantime I've built a couple of vintage-style Gibson lap steel guitars. I'm now back to working on a new acoustic project (two Dobros). I was finally able to assemble all the needed wood and hardware components for the build. This is my first scratch build and I bought my heat blanket and related equipment from our good host John about a year ago. I have some lovely high figure hardrock maple for the sides. It's 1/8” thick, which is too thick for bending. This will also be my first bending attempt. My maple wood is VERY expensive, so I'd like to maximize my chance of success. In that regard I'd appreciate some advise regarding a “safe” thickness for bending the sides as well as heat temperature (s) to use for the specific type of wood I have. I know there is no substitute for experience, especially for critical steps, and there is lots of experience on this forum. Here's a typical shot of the wood figure I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.