"Twin" Dobro Project

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Dobroguy

"Twin" Dobro Project

Post by Dobroguy »

Hello Everyone. I hope posting about a Dobro build isn't against the rules?
Maple.Side.JPG
It's been awhile since I've added anything to this forum. In the meantime I've built a couple of vintage-style Gibson lap steel guitars. I'm now back to working on a new acoustic project (two Dobros). I was finally able to assemble all the needed wood and hardware components for the build. This is my first scratch build and I bought my heat blanket and related equipment from our good host John about a year ago. I have some lovely high figure hardrock maple for the sides. It's 1/8” thick, which is too thick for bending. This will also be my first bending attempt. My maple wood is VERY expensive, so I'd like to maximize my chance of success. In that regard I'd appreciate some advise regarding a “safe” thickness for bending the sides as well as heat temperature (s) to use for the specific type of wood I have. I know there is no substitute for experience, especially for critical steps, and there is lots of experience on this forum. Here's a typical shot of the wood figure I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dobroguy

Re: "Twin" Dobro Project

Post by Dobroguy »

Sometimes I make "accidental" mistakes. However, I'm usually a quick learner. Once burned, twice shy as the saying goes. With the help of some great people on the forum I successfully bent my first side today. I will bend the second side this evening and I should be good to go after that.

My first attempt:
Burned.JPG
My second attempt:

First Side.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Congrats!

Please give us the details, what temperature, how long, water or windex, etc? I'm very curious about bending figured wood, seems like it would be more challenging.

It's so fun to see the guitar shape appear!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

I got the first pair of sides joined today. The bending went super smooth after my first "smoking" attempt.
I pretty much followed John's instructions from his bending update video where he bent some maple sides. Lower bout @ 240F, upper bout @ 255-260F, and waist @ 325F. That took about 5 minutes (est) total time. I then raised the temp to 340F for about 10 minutes at which point I set the controller to low VAR for another 5 minutes and pulled the plug. I let it sit for 3 hours before I took the first side out of the bending jig. John advised me to wait overnight but I couldn't wait. I used distilled water with a tablespoon of ammonia added. I had Windex on hand but the blue color concerned me with Maple wood.
EndBlocks.JPG
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks for the details, they look great.

I took mine out after 2.5 hours, I couldn't wait either. But as you've done, it's good to get them into the mold quickly so they don't get any funny ideas.
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

Another first time for me. I was recently given a 28FT radius dish, which I used to trim & radius the back edges of the rim. It should make for a nicely arched back. I was really surprised at how well that turned out.
Radius1.JPG
Radius2.JPG
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

The sanding dish is another great innovation - makes those joints pretty straightforward
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

It's starting to remind me of a Dobro. Tomorrow I will bens the sides for #2.
DSC06748.JPG
DSC06747.JPG
Dobroguy

Post by Dobroguy »

While I'm waiting for spring to arrive, the Evil Twin shows up.
Twin2.JPG
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Dang! You're moving right along - it's looking great. Please post pics on the innards of these, I'm very interested in how they work :-)