Pore Filling Issues

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
BlindBo

Pore Filling Issues

Post by BlindBo »

I assume most of the experienced builders already know this, so , I am posting this for the less experienced folks like me . I am building a L-OO for a friend and have a gorgeous set of sides and backs in deep red mahogany. The pores in this wood are so deep that it took four coats of aqua fill to level them. I sanded them flush after each application. Upon applying the base coats of lacquer, I noticed, dull, off-white specs in some of the pores. Due to my limited vision, I did not see them until the lacquer was applied. I tried several ways to correct this, and was unable to get them out. so, I’m now calling it a finish “enhancement“. 😳
While working with another piece of the mahogany today, I discovered that when sanding the aqua fill the dust gets into the unfilled portion of the pores and is not removed by wiping with Naptha and then a tack cloth. Then the next coat just locks it into the bottom of the pores.
So, today after each sanding, I blew the piece off with 90 psi air. Voila, no more dust. This is going to be my SOP from now on unless I come up with a smarter approach.
Hope this helps someone.
TEETERFAN

Re: Pore Filling Issues

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks for the great tip. I am planning on using that pore filler on an upcoming project and I will keep that in mind.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Pore Filling Issues

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The spots usually indicate that the aqua coat isn't completely dry, especially if it's applied heavily, and without sealing the wood first. I had the same problem when I first started using Aquacoat. Unfortunately, the only fix is to sand it out completely, and start again.

You have to seal the wood before using Aquacoat. I choose to use a couple of coats of shellac. Then, you apply it thinly, working it into the pores. Some folks use a "squeegee" method; I just use small amounts on a paper towel. It dries in about 30-45 minutes. Then sand level. I blow it off, or use naphtha on a cloth to clean the dust. Repeat as necessary. You don't necessary have to fill 100% of the pores. Your finish will complete it.

After a rough start with Aquacoat, it's now the only pore filler i use. BTW, you can dye it using something like Transtint.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com