Maple Back Brace

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
BlindBo

Maple Back Brace

Post by BlindBo »

Here’s a tip for all the other newer builders. I am bui;ding a back for a new guitar and while gathering my brace material I came across a beautiful strip of maple that I decided to use as the center brace. Got it glued in and sanded the radius. It look~s great.
Then……..I started notching it for the cross braces and the two end blocks. OMG, maple sure is harder than spruce!😎 It took hours to get it all to fit. I was taught to lay out the braces and then gently tap a single edge razor blade through the spruce and clean up with a sharp chisel. It’s pretty quick work, gives a cLen tight fit and I may use 2 razor blades on an entire back. I knew something was wrong when I broke 4 razor blades trying to cut the first notch. Then it dawned on me what was going on.

It’s finished this afternoon, but, damn, it took a long time !!! So, my advice to other beginners, “Don’t use maple unless you are really a glutton for punishment!”. As John Hall says, “Luthier in French means one who learns how to curse”. 😂
koolimy

Re: Maple Back Brace

Post by koolimy »

BlindBo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:46 pm “Don’t use maple unless you are really a glutton for punishment!”. As John Hall says, “Luthier in French means one who learns how to curse”. 😂
Thanks for the tip! And I love that quote 😂😂😂