Martin Style Slotted Headstock Template

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Martin Style Slotted Headstock Template

Post by scamp »

I'm trying to collect all the info I need to build a 12 fret Martin guitar (OOOO body style).
I want to try and build my own neck from scratch.
I would like to have a slotted headstock ( the nut width would be 1 3/4 ).
Does anyone know where I can get a template for a Martin slotted headstock or at least the measurements?
Looked on line but can't find much.

Thanks
Scamp
MaineGeezer

Re: Martin Style Slotted Headstock Template

Post by MaineGeezer »

I got this from someplace. I apparently re-drew it using ProgeCAD, so I may have gotten it as a sketch. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it's something.
Martin-slotted-headstock.PDF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
scamp

Post by scamp »

MaineGeezer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:29 pm I got this from someplace. I apparently re-drew it using ProgeCAD, so I may have gotten it as a sketch. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it's something.
Martin-slotted-headstock.PDF
Thanks.
A few questions on the drawing.

1) I'm guessing the 3.25 number is the degrees the slots are offset from the center line of the headstock. Correct?
2) I assume the three lower blue lines across the slots in the drawing ( three lines closest to the top of the headstock)are where the tuners go. Not sure what the fourth blue line at the top of the drawing is across the slots ( closest to the nut ). Is this where the hole for the slot doesn't go all the way through the headstock and begins to taper off?
3) On the right top of the drawing is the number 11/16. What is this for? The distance from the changing headstock angle to the end of the slot? From the center of the tuner to the end of the slot?

Again, thanks for sending this along and any insight to these questions would be much appreciated.

Scamp
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

there are a few things not correct on the drawing
hole spacing is 1 3/8 in the head stock is 6.5 in long and the width at the head stock is 2 7/8 in
they did use a few different spacings on the old headstocks during the pre 1920s when the spacing was determined by the available tuners of the period . other than that your good
and the 3.25 isn't the angle that is a measurement to the center that would equate to the 6 1/2 length.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

1) I'm guessing the 3.25 number is the degrees the slots are offset from the center line of the headstock. Correct?
Yes.

2) I assume the three lower blue lines across the slots in the drawing ( three lines closest to the top of the headstock)are where the tuners go. Not sure what the fourth blue line at the top of the drawing is across the slots ( closest to the nut ). Is this where the hole for the slot doesn't go all the way through the headstock and begins to taper off?
They're supposed to be where the tuners go, but as John points out, the shaft spacing on 3-on-a-plate tuners is more typically 1-3/8", so make sure the spacing matches your tuners. And whatever the spacing is, it should be equal -- the 29/32" dimension is just weird.

3) On the right top of the drawing is the number 11/16. What is this for? The distance from the changing headstock angle to the end of the slot? From the center of the tuner to the end of the slot?
The 11/16" locates the end of the slot, if you add up 29/32 + 4-11/32 + 11/16, measured from top of the headstock parallel to the slot.
And John says he whole thing ought to he 1/8" longer.

Don't sweat the exact dimensions too much. Martin didn't make their slotted headstocks all the same. As long as yours has proportions that are visually pleasing, the tuners work, and the strings line up well, you're fine.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I agree with MaineGeezer especially on his final point - you should lay the headstock out on paper and make sure the strings will line up well and be free of other strings, and the sides of the slots. I put slotted headstocks on my first two guitars, and modelled them after a Martin 000 12 fret I had at the time. I think I made my headstocks with a little more flare, and I find the 3rd and 4th strings don't have as much clearance from the insides of the slots as I would like. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Did I miss the length and width of the slots, and the distance the slots are from the outer sides of the headstock?

Thanks
peter havriluk
scamp

Post by scamp »

Thanks everyone for input.
I will try to integrate all this info and come up with a drawing.
Once I get it I will try and post it here for others who might find it helpful.

Scamp
scamp

Post by scamp »

Here is what I came up with.
The slots are 0.5 inches wide and 0.25 from the sides of the headstock and 4 inches long.
I have seen some photos of Martin slotted headstocks which seem to show the slots a bit wider ( maybe 5/8 inch).
This may have something to do with the tuners that are used.
The dimensions I've seen from various sources are consistent with a 3.25 degree slot slope from the center line.
The depth of the headstocks are approximately 0.7 inches including the headstock veneer as far as I can tell.
Let me know if you see any glaring errors or if you have questions.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

FWIW, the slots are 9/16" wide in the first drawing.