First Neck Build Feedback

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

First Neck Build Feedback

Post by scamp »

Thinking of making my first acoustic guitar neck vs buying an already shaped one for the learning experience.
I was thinking of making it from a one piece mahogany billet vs a scarf joint type neck as this seems to be the classic Martin style construction technique.
That said, I don't have access to a band saw which might be a problem.

So.. I was thinking I could still do it with hand tools mostly except for maybe a router to machine the headstock flat and a belt sander to trim the headstock sides etc.
I was thinking I could do the rest of the cutting/planning with a combination of proper Japanese pull saws, sharp chisels and spokeshave planes.

Before I go too far with this "idea" I thought I would seek out some knowledgeable feedback.
Is this crazy or not?
Does a scarf joint type construction make more sense?
Does it make sense to try this without a bandsaw at all?

Any feedback/opinions appreciated.

Scamp
jread

Re: First Neck Build Feedback

Post by jread »

This was one of my big questions when starting out too. Every single Martin guitar I've ever seen has a one piece neck. No scarf, no stacked heel. I could be incorrect but I've just never seen it. So I was confused about why almost all builders use scarfs, stacks, and even laminated neck shafts.

Well, I think it's simply that they have the cnc machine to do it. They drop in a billet, out pops a neck. For me, I decided to go w/ a scarf and stacked heel for a couple reasons. The added stability of a scarf joint and heel. Plus I can use 5/4 mahogany which is much more affordable.

Tools I use to carve the neck including the headstock. Spindle sander, rasp, chisel, block plane. I have a spokeshave but generally don't use it as I really just haven't gotten good with it. I sometimes will cut larger sections off the taper with my bandsaw but if I have a good 60 grit cylinder on my spindle sander, it makes quick work of roughing out mahogany.

I think the only other tool I'd need if starting w/ one piece neck is to cut the general shape w/ a bandsaw or other similar tool.

Sure, a milling machine, router, and other tools probably would be more efficient but I have made several and like them so just keep going with my current method.

Good luck! Just go for it. I like the phrase: How to make a guitar neck: Start with a log and remove wood until you have a guitar neck.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one confused about this.
As you say, every Martin guitar I've seen has a one piece guitar neck.
Also, if you look at the Stewmac web site, they have an article on guitar neck construction techniques which seems to say that steel string acoustics use one piece necks and "classical" acoustic guitars use scarf neck/stacked block necks.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... echniques/

So.. Looks like scarf neck / stacked block is an option I will look into.

Related question.
Many necks have a Martin or equivalent type Volute which I believe adds structural integrity to the neck/headstock joint area.
Seems like this isn't an option on a scarf neck design.
Is this true?

Scamp
jread

Post by jread »

Start with wood that is about 1" thick and you have room to cut the volute/dart. When thinning the headstock, I take it all from the back side and carve the volute while doing so.

Here's my 1st one. You cans see the scarf joint line above the middle tuners. Somewhere in the forum are lots of posts w/ details about doing this. I'll look for mine and link them here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I agree that a built-up neck seems stronger - it just feels vulnerable when I look at that headstock that angles across the grain. My Larrivée is like this. True, the headplate laminated on top strengthens it. But another factor is cost. A mahogany one-piece neck billet is way more expensive. You can spread that out a little if you have a big enough piece to cut two necks out of it. As for tools, a bandsaw is great for roughing it out, but you could use a fretsaw for the tighter curves. After it is roughed out, for me it's mostly hand tools anyway. I also use a Foredom tool with carbide burrs which saves a little wear and tear on aging joints. For the scarf joint, I made a jig following a pattern by Peter Licis, and it works very well, once everything is set up square and vertical. Bruce W.

http://theamateurluthier.com/amateurlut ... gplan.html
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

For my first 5 guitars I did a one-piece neck. I don't have a bandsaw. I got around that by using a hole saw to cut the curve at the heel. I also have a milling machine so I didn't necessarily need the center pilot on the hole saw, but if your stock has enough extra to let you use a center pilot you should be okay.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
scamp

Post by scamp »

Very helpful feedback ( as usual ).
Looks like I have some options without having to go out and buy a bandsaw.

Thanks
Scamp
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I build a scarf neck, with pieced heel. When done properly, you don't see the glued wood. You have to make sure that you're glued surfaces are absolutely flat, so there are no gaps, no matter how small, between the glued pieces. I use a hand plane to flatten these areas, and I test the flatness with a square. Once glued, you treat it like a solid neck.

I use a table saw to cut the 1" x 48" piece of mahogany, at a 12° angle, using a taper cutting jig, at one end. They jigs run about $25-30. You use what you've cut off on the back of what was just cut, to contine the angle, and create the scarf.

I cut 3 blocks off of the bottom, which I glue together to create the beginning of the bottom, which turn into the dovetail and heel. Once again, I do this on the tablesaw. I use a combo of hand planes, spokesman plane, and chisels to shape and finish.
20220914_121521.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
scamp

Post by scamp »

Thought I would give an update on my first neck building progress.
Decided to take input from John H and try out my first neck carving /building using some low cost poplar wood vs trying to do the "real thing" on expensive mahogany.
Also decided to do the experiment using 1 X 3 wood using a scraf joint and stacked block technique.
Used all hand tools ( except for a router for the truss rod slot ) including rasps, files, various Japanese pull saws, coping saw etc.

Was a lot of fun and turned out OK.
I think I'm ready for the real thing.
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Turned out OK????

Dang! That looks fantastic from the pictures. Great Job!
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit